Main Menu

70 Cuda tail light seals, gaskets, ect.

Started by FSHTAIL, July 15, 2020, 03:38:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

So I figured out that every time I wash my car, water comes in from the trunk channel down into the trunk through the tail panel/light.  So I put a garden hose on the Dutchman panel and remove the rear seat so I could stick my head in there with a light, Niagara Falls.

I would just sort of shush all the water out of the sending unit plug so it doesn't sit. 

I ordered an all new tail/bezel seal and gasket kit from Detroit Muscle technology. 

What is the order that these go in?
I took apart my tails and they literally have nothing in/on them...
I'm not entirely sure how this is supposed to look to be proper and keep water out.

It was held together with tape. 😏
Something I've never messed with before.

Any help would be great. 
Thanks. 
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Jay Bee

B5fourspeed

I just assembled the back of my 70 cuda.The corked gasket that goes on the outer bezel was to wide.When I tightened the bezel the gasket would show thru.I trim the gasket and then glued it place on the bezel so it would not move around

FSHTAIL

FSHTAIL

I guess I'll have to do some trimming and get some kind of adhesive to hold the gaskets in place, does anyone have any recommendations for gasket adhesive that won't be crazy permanent?

Ill have to do some fine tuning.

Chryco Psycho

I was going to suggest 3M weatherstip adhesive but that is relatively permanent ,
Could just use silicone .

B5fourspeed

FSHTAIL

I might have some super 77, you think a couple of Spritz of that on the gasket and that'll work?

B5fourspeed

That should be fine.It doesn't take much.Do it quick so you have to center it on the bezel.

FSHTAIL

Is the foam that goes from the housing to the inside of the tail panel supposed to spill over the edge or is it supposed to stay inside?

B5fourspeed

The white foam gasket should stay inside the housing.I glued that to the housing.