Main Menu

'70 e-body reproduction-style modern radio options

Started by 6bblgt, February 08, 2021, 07:48:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

what are current OPTIONS for a modern radio to fit the stock opening on an E-body

YYZ

If you're not trying to have it look like a factory E-body radio, then any aftermarket unit that is 1-DIN sized will fit perfectly.  No need to modify the opening unless you're going for an old-school pullout CD player.

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

cudacruiser

I've been looking at that stock looking radio as well.  Didn't see documentation on it, but assuming it would drive a couple 6x9 rear deck speakers just fine while Bluetoothed into my iPhone.

GoMangoBoys

I bought the Vintage Auto Radio.  I have not tried it out yet, but the lead time was long.  I think it was longer due to the shutdowns, but I think it was 20 weeks.  It looks great and I am sure we will be happy with it.

mopar jack

If you have a factory radio it can be modified to perform like a modern radio. Turn switch http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm. will upgrade the internals to work with modern speakers and provide blue tooth and hands free phone options. They sell a good front speaker replacement for the original oval shaped one and the 3" speakers for the 3 speaker dash. I recently had my 71 road runner am/fm radio upgraded and cost around $560.

Cudino

Quote from: GoMangoBoys on February 11, 2021, 05:53:14 AM
I bought the Vintage Auto Radio.  I have not tried it out yet, but the lead time was long.  I think it was longer due to the shutdowns, but I think it was 20 weeks.  It looks great and I am sure we will be happy with it.
I also ordered the one from Vintage Auto Radio, and they take your money immediately upon order.  Like GoMangoBoys said, the leadtime was outrageous.  I ordered mine on July 29 2020, while we were already well into COVID.  They told me 6-8 weeks in worst case.  After numerous emails from me my radio was finally shipped on December 15 2020, 4.5 months later!  But what I found to be much more aggravating was the vague answers I would get from Vintage Auto Radio, like "It's got to be any minute now", "I wish the factory would catch up", "I am caught in the middle of this COVID restricted nightmare", and "they [the factory] are just behind, I hope to hear something from them soon".  Then, starting from Oct-22, they would always respond that my radio was just 1 or 2 weeks away, which ended up spanning the next 2 months.  This extremely long leadtime, along with vague answers, was very frustrating to me, and I ended up having to mount this stuff long after my dash was installed into my car.

However, when I did finally get the radio, I must say it looks very nice.  I'm not trying to get the best sound, just an updated radio with a "stock" look, and without having to modify any original radios.

This radio (like most modern ones) are intended for 4ohm speakers.  Original speakers have 8 ohms, and can be damaged if used with this new radio.  For my front channel I ended up buying from turnswitch.com 4 pieces of their 3½" 8 ohm speakers, two of them as individuals and the other two as a dual-assembly mounted to their football-shaped bracket.  I mounted the two individuals in the corners of my 3speaker dash, and the dual one in the center.  I then wired up the two lefts and two rights in parallel, which gave me 4ohms each per side, and where the center speaker assembly was divided into 1 left and 1 right.  Of course I lost the stereo effect, but these speakers are so small they really are just intended for basic tunes and that roughly fit in standard openings. 

The sound ended up being a little tinny, but OK, and for the radio's second channel I plan to put a pair of larger speakers somewhere else.  I also noticed this radio picks up fewer stations (I have my standard antenna connected), which is an issue I've since read about from other online reports, so it appears this radio will only pick up very strong signals from the airwaves.  Overall, though, I think it's fine for my purposes.

- Wade

Skdmark

Thanks for sharing your experience and how your install went Wade.
Sounds like (no pun intended) I need to get my order in now.

I've got an 80's vintage tape deck in my Barracuda. I planned to swap the radio and the speakers out when I pull my dash apart when the weather warms up. At the same time, I'm upgrading to a Rally gauge cluster and replacing the dash wiring. Just want to get it all reworked in one shot.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Joegrapes

This is the one I used. Custom Auto Sound. Works great.

RUNCHARGER

Did you have trouble mounting the Custom Autosound one? I sold one to a fellow and he claimed he could not mount it.
Sheldon

Joegrapes

Not really. The unit is much smaller and a lot lighter than the original radio. I took the plastic faceplate from the old radio and with a few minor mods put it on the new unit. Then bent the side strap that held the old radio and screwed to the new unit. It's not a direct bolt in but I was able to make it fit without much trouble.

RUNCHARGER

Thanks: I know some aftermarket parts just don't fit but some people do expect the parts to install themselves.
Sheldon

CudaA39

I was on the fence about dropping major $ on one of those vintage auto units and just couldn't justify it.  I picked up a darn near perfect 72-74 unit, got the back light setup, I'll gut it to remove weight, and then hide a new modern unit under the seat.  Most have a controller so you don't have to actually see the radio to change the source.  My biggest fear was paying big money for a vintage unit then realizing the exhaust was too loud to even hear it.
Check out my 71 Gen3 build:

https://youtu.be/XSDAWczXoZw

2015 Tri-State Stock/Superstock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Weekend Sunday Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar Weekend Friday No Box Winner and 11.50 R/U

Huskidrive

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You....It's Huskidrive!