Main Menu

70 vs 72 Trunk Wiring Harness Connector

Started by GoMangoBoys, February 16, 2021, 11:08:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

A while back, I bought a trunk wiring harness from a member here on the forum.  It is pretty nice.  I am almost ready to use it.  I did notice that the side marker light socket did not look like it would fit into the side marker light.  I had another member of the forum over last weekend and he pointed out that I have a harness for a 72.  He is going to set me up with the light sockets that I need to modify it for both the side marker lights and the differences in the taillights and backup light.  That all looks plenty easy to resolve.  What I don't want to assume is that the connector where the harness plugs into the dash harness is the same.  The connectors DO plug together, but I don't know if each wire has the same function between a 70 and a 72.  I have a diagram of the 70 harness, but I can't find a diagram of a 72.  I do not recall where I got the diagram for the 70.  I thought I got it off of the forum here, but I can't find it again.  Can anyone either send me a diagram for the 72, or tell me if you know that they are the same.
Thanks

anlauto

Interesting question, and I'm guessing you don't have your old harness  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoMangoBoys

I do not have the old harness.  All I have is the used one that I bought from a 72.

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

GoMangoBoys

@Skdmark   This helped me a lot.  Using your wiring diagram for the 72 against the one that I have for the 70, I have verified that the connectors have the same pinout.  Thank you.

anlauto

So @GoMangoBoys on to the next problem....The 1970 Harness has two 1157 bulbs on each side with a single 1156 reverse light in the middle where the 1972 harness only has one 1157 on each side and one 1156 reverse light on each side....seems like a lot of modifications need to be done to make it work :dunno: 
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoMangoBoys

I think the mods seem actually pretty easy.  I AM an EE (retired).