Main Menu

71 cuda 340 battery cable length and routing

Started by culp71, May 11, 2018, 06:00:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

culp71

just cant seem to make any progress, that last 5 percent is a killer  :pullinghair:

for a 340 (727) 'cuda
what is the + & - battery cable proper length and routing?

negative about 20 inches?
positive about 44 inches?

Shane Kelley

Unrestored 71 340 car. maybe this will help you.

culp71

yes, YES very helpful nice... any chance you can get down further where it connects to the starter and the same for the neg cable???

Shane Kelley

These are just reference pics I robbed off a Ebay listing a couple years ago. No more pics in that area. Here's mine with correct cables. Basically the ground goes to the front of the head and the positive is just going right to the starter from where it runs down under master cylinder. The little white retainer is not usually on the battery box holding the ground wire as shown on my car. So I don't think that would be correct for accurate build.

Shoooter

did you ever find out the correct length of the positive and negative  cables?

culp71

no... but I have figured out that the negative cable is about 20 inches, but the positive I am still uncertain...

Shane Kelley

Quote from: culp71 on May 14, 2018, 07:14:11 AM
no... but I have figured out that the negative cable is about 20 inches, but the positive I am still uncertain...
@MoparDave will have the correct ones you need. That's where mine come from. Roseville Moparts

culp71

because of my wiring system I can not use a factory version cable, I have to make my own, this is why I simply just need the length of a factory style positive cable and the routing.

Rich G.

Yes that's where I got mine. It has a special connector that goes to the starter. VERY minimal clearance.

culp71

Quote from: Shane Kelley on May 11, 2018, 06:30:43 AM
Unrestored 71 340 car. maybe this will help you.

very helpful thank you Shane Kelly
....any chance you could get one more pic showing that positive cable past the steering column and route to the starter???

Shane Kelley

I don't have any of that area. But I do have this one of my car. There is a bracket/retainer that screws to the top of the frame rail. See pic. The cable runs down the apron as shown in previous pics then goes through this retainer and straight across to the starter.

Shoooter

no one knows? I need the mesurment to order the proper ones

culp71

well....I had to make my own so I went with 40 inches for the positive cable, no idea if its correct but it seems like it will work.

Shoooter

perfect thank you. for some reason all the other replys didn't show up when I viewed the thread