Main Menu

71 cuda headlight style

Started by culp71, May 04, 2018, 09:01:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

culp71

I am getting close on this car...so going over my list I've compiled over the years of "loose ends" questions:

headlights, wondering what brand came with them new, and would Wagner, Sylvania or another brand be similar in glass appearance?
I've looked at a lot and most have pros and cons...but have no original to compare to it, I know this is a little strange but for me its in all the little details.

I'm finding a lot of variations in the lense designs that I don't know what's closest to original.

1Burgfish

:wrenching: culp71 I believe they came with Wagner since mine had Wagner on it and my car was off the road since the mid 70's.

anlauto

I put these in all of my restorations. They're basically a "no-name" sealed beam incandescent light bulb.....I'm sure not the brightest :idea:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3-4-Sealed-Beam-Incandescent-Glass-Hi-Low-Headlight-Headlamp-Bulbs-Set-of-4/253210360607?hash=item3af4837b1f:g:JdAAAOSwD5Za4JKI
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

I think they would have came with GE's from the factory, but it's hard to find ones that are not halogen nowadays   :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

culp71

6bblgt

the correct lens design is referred to as "Wide Flute"

there is some argument as to GE and/or Westinghouse was originally used

Cudino

As far as original bulbs go, as usual Dan nailed it.  As he mentions both the 5 3/4" bulbs ('71 Cudas) and 7" bulbs ('70 Cudas) originally came with the "wide fluting" style of bulb, meaning the vertical bars molded into the middle area of the glass were fewer and wider apart compared with the newer "narrow-fluting" design.  I have very original cars with both Westinghouse and GE bulbs, so I do believe both suppliers were used, and while I haven't seen it myself I've heard cases where each side of one car had different manufacturer's bulbs installed from the get-go.  To go along with Dan's examples here's some more pictures of original "wide-fluting" style of 5 3/4" high/low beams from both GE and Westinghouse, an original 7" GE bulb with wide-fluting, and then a pair of modern narrow-fluting GEs for comparison.

- Wade

dodj

I have now been schooled on headlights. I never new there were differences like you guys have shown.
:bravo:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill