Main Menu

Alternator Color Codes

Started by manycj, June 30, 2017, 07:17:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

manycj

Does anyone have any info on what the correct color codes should be on alternators ?

I am finishing up restoring an alternator for my 318 AC car from a really nice used core.  It is PN 3438178. The area around the part number appears to have green overspray and perhaps some one removed most of the original paint marking which is used by the factory as a quick method for identifying alternators.   

My alternator is a dual pulley 3438178 (shown in the first picture).  The second picture I stole from Dixie Restorations and it shows the paint marking I am referring to (in orange), but it is a single pulley 3438172 version.

Chris

<I>If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so no onw can!"</I>

Cuda Cody

I think the color had to do with the amps of the alternator.  I can see what Jim says.

Cuda Cody

@manycj   this is what Jim Ridge said....

Hey Cody - Yes, typically you'll find a green "swipe" on the 3438178 alternators indicating that shell was paired with the proper amperage rotor. The rotor stem color (sometimes visible inside the pulley hub) should match. But - for some reason known only to CC - they used red 37 amp pulley paint to match orange or tor red shell swipe color. Go figure...

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon