Main Menu

Aluminum battery box/hold-down

Started by Burdar, July 22, 2017, 10:36:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

Is anyone running an aluminum battery box in the trunk or maybe an optima billet hold-down in the engine compartment? Are there any corrosion issues with gasses from the battery attacking the aluminum?

I'm thinking about building a custom aluminum battery cover. Basically a 5 sided cover to hide an ugly battery. The terminals would stick up through the top so the stock wiring would still hook up. Then I'd build a custom aluminum hold down to match.  I wonder if something like that would be eaten away in no time?

Cuda Cody

Is it a weight issue with wanting to use aluminum?  Why not just go stainless?

Burdar

The only reason is that I can bend and cut aluminum much easier. I know aluminum battery boxes are common. I never thought about the possible corrosion issue before.

61K T/A

I have the battery box on my to do list too. Then to mount my MSD unit to it.

Burdar

I have the main part of the cover bent and the end pieces cut.  Just need to have them welded on.  I measured a few different batteries and wrote down their dimensions.  A group 24 battery is technically correct for the car but it's really tall.  The posts get pretty close to the hood.  A group 34 is the same length and width but it's an inch shorter.  That's what I'm making the cover to fit.

I haven't decided if I want to sand and polish the cover or paint it satin black.  I have .5, .75, 1.00 and 1.25 dimple dies.  I thought about dimpling a pattern into the cover but I'm not sure yet.  Does anyone have a way to punch those trunk/hood louvers?  Those would look good on the side.  Here's what I have so far.

RUNCHARGER

That's looking good. large trucks use aluminum battery covers. Louvers are tricky and I think a proper press is the only way to make them uniform. I have run a flap disc over aluminum lightly and quickly to get a brushed finish.
Sheldon

Burdar

I know Brad has some cool tools.  I thought maybe someone here had the louver dies and could punch them for me.  I'm going to have other dimple died pieces in the engine compartment so that wouldn't look out of place.  I might just have to draw out a few different hole designs and see what looks good.  The dimpled holes would have to be facing out though.  They look a little nicer facing in IMO. 

There is a fairly large gap between the radiator and the rad support.  I just made a filler piece to take up the gap.  I used a 1/2" dimple die for that piece.

Brads70

Looks nice!
Just a thought I wonder if those dimple died hole will whistle going down the road, like on a pop/beer bottle?  :D
I don't have any louver dies sorry. Just dimple dies.... 3 sizes

Burdar

:D I think I'm going to put a solid strip of aluminum right under the dimpled piece. I can paint that inner piece engine color, body color or even maybe red. You'll see color in the holes.

I kind of like the louver idea...at least on the front/back sections of the battery cover. I'll talk to some people I know and see if I can find someone with them.

Daveh

I like that look.  I would like to get a set of dimple dies.  Who sells a reasonable set?  Thanks

Brads70

Quote from: Daveh on November 10, 2017, 12:54:10 PM
I like that look.  I would like to get a set of dimple dies.  Who sells a reasonable set?  Thanks

I got mine from here ( they are somewhat local to me)
https://www.tmrcustoms.com/ca/tools/dimple-dies/dimple-dies

Keep in mind these are Canadian prices , so it's even cheaper in US Dollars.

Daveh

Burdar

I've just been piecing my set together on eBay. The 1 1/4" was around $70 I think. Then I bought a three piece kit of 1", 3/4" and 1/2" for $60 maybe. I don't think I'll need anything bigger then what I already have.