Main Menu

amp bypass

Started by mopar jack, July 26, 2020, 11:53:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar jack

Going to do the amp meter bypass today and need to know which route to use for the alternator to the start relay wire. Trying to make it blend in. I can go to the radiator support and across to the driver fender via the channel that the headlight harness uses or go to the fire wall and follow the wire routing to the driver fender and to the start relay. Any other options?

dodj

That's about it for options. I went with the rad support route. Think it looks cleaner.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

kawahonda

I ran mine with the other wires, and you can't even see it. Back through the passenger valve cover, firewall, and to the starter relay.....it doesn't stick out or anything since it's surrounded by the rest of the harness?

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

JonH

Ran mine to the starter. Less clutter on the relay and it effectively disappears...

Katfish

Quote from: kawahonda on July 26, 2020, 02:14:28 PM
I ran mine with the other wires, and you can't even see it. Back through the passenger valve cover, firewall, and to the starter relay.....it doesn't stick out or anything since it's surrounded by the rest of the harness?

Exactly what I did, but you can't go wrong either way.

CudaMoparRay

Planning on selling the 'Cuda but might so this anyway for the next owner  :thinking: :wrenching:

ToxicWolf

I converted mine to a volt reader. I didn't even change the gauge, just read it differently.

YellowThumper

Quote from: mopar jack on July 26, 2020, 11:53:23 AM
Going to do the amp meter bypass today and need to know which route to use for the alternator to the start relay wire. Trying to make it blend in. I can go to the radiator support and across to the driver fender via the channel that the headlight harness uses or go to the fire wall and follow the wire routing to the driver fender and to the start relay. Any other options?
Just posted this on another thread. Nylon split loom. Comes in many diameters. Run the wire in this and it will blend in well. Cap it off with shrink wrap if possible. Or a rubber wrap. Not the sticky back electrical tape.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

crackedback

I use black wire on the wire around set ups I build  and sell.

The wire hides nicely within the factory harness running stock path along firewall and inner fender.

Rob

70rag383

Quote from: mopar jack on July 26, 2020, 11:53:23 AM

What gauge of wire do you use for the bypass?

mopar jack

I ran a 10 gauge wire for the bypass and made a fusable link with 14 gauge wire.

mopar jack

Decided to run my wire to the rad support. Had to  drill a hole behind the washer bottle and use a grommet to protect the wire. I think the valve cover route is a lot hotter, especially if the exhaust cross over is open.