Main Menu

Another component to identufy

Started by DodgeGuy, April 20, 2018, 06:58:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

DodgeGuy

Any idea what this is? It was connected to a blue/greenish wire that is hot when the key is on.

The wire goes in the end. It was so worn it literally fell right off when I grabbed it.
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

EDL94

It looks like a capacitor, they are there to reduce noise on the radio from the alternator and ignition system.

DodgeGuy

Quote from: EDL94 on April 20, 2018, 07:02:40 PM
It looks like a capacitor, they are there to reduce noise on the radio from the alternator and ignition system.

Would that be found under the hood?  I have no idea, I just wanted to clarify that this was not an under the dash component.  It was laying on the back of the intake manifold with a clump of unattached wires (with all the aftermarket mods my car had done to it before I bought it, I've found several disconnected wires).

Thank You!!
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

EDL94

I am not sure hopefully one of the experts here will chime in. I know that back in the day they were added under the dash to eliminate alternator whine on the AM radio.

Topcat

That is the radio suppression resistor.
It was made to help with spark plug radio interference.

It's mounted on the bracket near the coil.

It was often seen on Hemi engines.

I have one so I know what it is.

The wire is broken off on this one pictured. 

http://www.2040-parts.com/oe-ignition-radio-suppressor-68-69-70-71-charger-coronet-roadrunner-cuda-i1575706/

RUNCHARGER

Throw it away and forget about it.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Used with points it absorbed the spark as the points opened giving it a alternate path to ground , the wire connected to the coil , as Sheldon said no need for it unless you still run points

DodgeGuy

Thank guys!!

I've only been here about a week and I'm loving this board.
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration