Main Menu

Another fuel gauge observation

Started by Joegrapes, October 27, 2020, 07:38:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Joegrapes

So after years of trying to get an aftermarket sending unit to work I bit the bullet and bought an OEM unit. The gauge works good now. The other day the gauge was reading half so I decided to try a little experiment. The advertised capacity of the tank is 19 gallons. I added 4.75 gallons of gas figuring the gauge should now read 3/4 but it reads about an 1/8 more. Has anyone measured the actual capacity of these tanks? If the tank is really less than 19 gallons the gauge would be closer to true reading.

Joegrapes

RUNCHARGER

That's reading pretty close, full will go past the scale a bit. They're just under 16 gallons imperial which translates to 16 US as I recall.
Sheldon

Bullitt-

18 gallons & all of the mopars I was familiar with back when they were new the needle would be pointing more at the F when full so the hash marks mean very little.
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

JonH

All aftermarket tanks I see say 18 gallons... :dunno:

Huskidrive

From 1970 Service Manual

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You....It's Huskidrive!

Jay Bee

Or 68 liters for the metric countries.

Joegrapes

Ok, the aftermarket tank I found online had it listed at 19 gallons. 18 gallon capacity is right. The 4.75 gallons I added should have made the gauge read a hair over 3/4 full. It still reads to high but it's fine. I doubt these gauges when new were ever that close anyway. Thanks all.

70rag383

I'd say your gauge is more accurate than most. My gauge stays full for about 10 miles of driving then goes down rapidly.  When my gauge hits "E" I actually still have almost a half tank of gas. 

So I do not rely on the fuel gauge.  Instead of watching the fuel gauge I watch the tripometer.  I re-set my tripometer every time I fill up.  When I get to 150 miles on the tripometer  I know it's time to hit the gas station.

7212Mopar

Where did you get the NOS fuel sending unit? Anymore left? I tried that on one vendor and ending up they don't have it in stock anymore and supposedly not really a genuine NOS piece. I am moving forward with using Tanks Inc Meter Match unit. Planning to put it in this weekend to see how that goes.

1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Joegrapes

I got it at a place called Hiltop Auto Parts.  hiltopautoparts.com  It was last spring so I'm not sure if they're still available but give them try.

7212Mopar

Looks like you bought the last one. No more E Body fuel sending unit at that website.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket