Main Menu

Boiling Optima

Started by 70chall440, February 17, 2017, 05:25:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cataclysm80

The question seems to be, What battery can be installed and then ignored for the longest amount of time and still hold a charge.

70chall440

Mopar or no car!!!

Topcat

It all has do with the % of calcium and % of lead.

The number of plates and how big they are.
More lead % is more reserve. 

Deep cycle have thick plates for deep cycle.
Cranking battery have thinner plates but more of them.
Less fluid in a cranking battery so they don't like being hot.

Look at the boom box results and amp hours.
Northstar won.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/154-1303-battery-bashing/

Then read this:
http://www.discountmarinebatteries.com/thin-plate-pure-lead-agm-battery-review/

70chall440

Thanks for the links, especially the four wheeler one, basically what I was thinking but without the ability to test as they did. Yes the Northstar battery won, however the one thing that weighs against it is that I cannot walk into a parts store and buy one, also they are more expensive than their competitors.
Mopar or no car!!!

70chall440

Mopar or no car!!!

Cuda Cody

That's a good chart.  Is the real value in the DieHard Platinum?

Quote from: 70chall440 on February 18, 2017, 11:48:24 AM
Here is the chart from Four Wheeler

70chall440

It definitely ranks toward the top. Where my thinking is currently (in general) is that the Die Hard Platinum (which is reportedly made by Odyssey) is a great battery (have one in my Viper). I also am thinking that the Everstart Platinum (Walmart) is a decent battery. The Duralast Platinum seems ok but there is some bad press on it and I suspect they had a bad run over the last few years.
Mopar or no car!!!

HP_Cuda

I used to run exclusively on Diehard bats but when all the Sears stores starting shutting down =  no more.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

70chall440

Therein lies the dilemma, finding a good battery that is accessible locally. No doubt this will be a compromise but everyone needs to select what is best and important to them. For me, local access is important.
Mopar or no car!!!

jamesroney

It is worth pointing out that the Optima cannot normally be recharged from a Deep Cycle Discharge using a normal DC battery charger.  (or at least i have never had any luck with that...)

I have recovered several "bricked" Optimas using the Optima specific recovery charger.

That being said, it appears that the Northstar is a superior battery.

I'm running Optima in my boat, and my Bronco, and my Cuda...and i love them.  But my primary consideration is corrosion protection. 
BS23N0E

Cuda Cody

@wanderlustin  gave me this from the place that makes the reproduction batteries.

70chall440

Is the repro battery a AGM?
Mopar or no car!!!

Topcat

The algorithm charging rate is different for AGM's vs. Wet cells.

I've seen SLA's charged with a wet cell charger and they became swollen into the shape of a Football.

Cuda Cody

I do not know.   :dunno:

I'm sticking to their scheduled recharge and storage directions and using their charger.  So far everything is really working well. 

Quote from: 70chall440 on February 18, 2017, 07:06:12 PM
Is the repro battery a AGM?

Chryco Psycho

I have no clue why but here nothing will last 2 years it is not heat as Arizona , New Mexico , Florida et all get hotter , I bought a Deka dead in 18 months , now I buy the cheapest battery available usually $50-60 & it lasts 18 months why pay 3x as much to get 20 months  :dunno: