Main Menu

Brake light switch - question

Started by Sir Keppa, January 18, 2019, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Sir Keppa

Sorry if thats a silly question...
I worked under my 70s R/T dash today and recognized that the brake light switch above the pedal is not connected.
I mean both of the male connectors.
Could not locate the harness connectors at first but then i pulled them out. It seems that someone "stored" them away and shoved them behind the fresh air box.
Last i checked my brake lights worked.
The previous owner converted the front HD drum brakes to e-body discs and my brake booster is maybe an after market one (i dont know).
I also spotted a tinkered splice at the ignition switch connector.

My question is if there is a common conversion due to fails in the factory brake light switch or something.
I havent figured out where my brake lights get their signal yet.
Wondering if i should go back to the factory setting because i know the previous owner did some really curious and stupid things to the car.
I still havent figured out why my hazard light relais instanstly smokes and smells when i use the right flasher... :pullinghair:
Global is the new local!

dodj

Can't comprehend how your brake lights would work with the brake switch disconnected?
Must be another (aftermarket) switch somewhere?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Sir Keppa

I will check that tomorrow, at least i will try.
Global is the new local!

6bblgt

some of the aftermarket proportioning valves have a port for a brake light switch  :dunno:

Rich G.

I'm thinking the same thing. There has to be a pressure switch in the line somewhere.

anlauto

Yea I would look for an electrical wire going to your proportioning valve  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration