Main Menu

Brake lights erratic behavior!

Started by Skunkworks Challenger, September 09, 2017, 08:46:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Skunkworks Challenger

Went on a tour today to LeMay's ACM End of Summer show.  70 Challenger ran great and the thrill of that 440 is something else.  A friend following later told me my brake lights were playing tag, varying from right one only, then left one only to both working when turn signals are on for either direction. I haven't looked into it yet and suspect a grounding problem but would like to have suggestions from fellow members on what to look for.  Never had any issues since restoring the car five years ago.  What do you think?

1 Wild R/T

don't ignore the T/S switch... Both the T/S function & the emergency flasher function can cause issues like you describe...  Might try flushing the switch with Deoxit...

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-DeoxIT-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00006LVEU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1505016075&sr=8-3&keywords=deoxit

Skunkworks Challenger

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on September 09, 2017, 09:02:46 PM
don't ignore the T/S switch... Both the T/S function & the emergency flasher function can cause issues like you describe...  Might try flushing the switch with Deoxit...

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-DeoxIT-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00006LVEU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1505016075&sr=8-3&keywords=deoxit
1 Wild R/T-- I think you are correct about the turn signal switch.  You reminded me that several weeks ago the cam/cancel part of my switch broke-- the little tab that holds the signal on until it is cancelled.  I replaced just that part and only checked to see if the signals worked properly--they did.  I didn't check if my brake lights functioned properly and didn't have a friend following me until yesterday, so, that could have been when the problem started.  Just this morning I tested the turn/stop lights to confirm what my friend told me and he is correct except I could only make the right stop not work.  After wiggling the turn signal stick I got both stop lights working.  So, will have to take the steering wheel off again and check it out.  In the meantime any suggestions on where to source a new turn signal unit or just the cam/cancel unit?  Thanks for your reply!

Cuda Cody

Skunkworks Challenger

Quote from: Cuda Cody on September 10, 2017, 10:11:19 AM
:iagree:  Connection or ground.   :alan2cents:

Yea, I'm thinking connection at this point because the ground in not in the T/S switch and all lights are full bright when working.  Think I will find new part to install before I open it up again. 

Chryco Psycho

Standard TW7 / Rock Auto , use the discount code too

Skunkworks Challenger

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 10, 2017, 10:32:34 AM
Standard TW7 / Rock Auto , use the discount code too

Thanks Neil, good suggestion.

Skunkworks Challenger

I couldn't find a turn signal switch on Rock Auto so I went on-line to NAPA and found one that should deliver in a couple days.  In the meanwhile the brake lights work correctly as long as I don't signal to turn right.

Chryco Psycho

Odd I just entered the part # & Standard motor products in the search & it came up on Rock Auto no problem

Skunkworks Challenger

Thanks Neil, I'll try again.  I investigated my problem today and found the part I bought from NAPA is not a perfect fit,the contacts just barely align.  I have it working now but have no confidence in it for the long haul.  So if the new NAPA part that's in the mail is the same I will go back to Rock, hoping they use a different manufacture'  The NAPA part is from Echlin, which should be good .  I don't remember if they made the one I'm using now or not. 

1 Wild R/T

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=43745&jsn=263

To be honest I prefer an OE switch but they are getting hard to find & pricey...

RUNCHARGER

I screwed around with those jobber switches but didn't have luck with them either. I bought a few new ones from Chrysler a few years ago and they were great. Wrong knob for a 70 but they sure function as new.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 11, 2017, 06:40:35 PM
I screwed around with those jobber switches but didn't have luck with them either. I bought a few new ones from Chrysler a few years ago and they were great. Wrong knob for a 70 but they sure function as new.

I agree, but two years ago I picked up a couple spares in the $50 range, now they seem to be selling in the $200+ range which is hard to grasp...

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Skunkworks Challenger

I didn't search for OEM, just figured there were none available.  I would be reluctant to install a used one.  That Standard TW7 looks like it would be fine.