Main Menu

Brake pedal adjustment...

Started by kawahonda, August 07, 2018, 12:31:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Hi guys!

I found one thing that needs resolving because I am pretty forgetful. When I drive, I notice that I have to "pull the brake pedal" up slightly in order to get the rear brake lights to turn off. I had to jumper my car yesterday because I forgot to do this and 5-6 hours of it parked that way is enough to drain the battery.

So how is this tackled and what exactly is the issue?
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

7212Mopar

Try adjusting the switch. Is is mounted on a bracket that can move forward and backward and then tightened.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 7212Mopar on August 07, 2018, 12:51:40 PM
Try adjusting the switch. Is is mounted on a bracket that can move forward and backward and then tightened.
[/quote

Yup, pedal doesn't come to the switch, the switch comes to the pedal...

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

I had the switch to break apart on me and the lights stayed on....pic of the switch............

kawahonda

Cool, thanks for posting the picture. Now I know precisely what to look for. Being 6'4.5", it's kinda tough to get under there in a prone position, so this really helps.

Just by looking at this, I can already see what needs to happen, The switch part needs tighten (become smaller) a little bit. Probably will start off at a 1/2" turn and go for there. Don't want to go too much!
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

RUNCHARGER

It's pretty easy to do and you should never have to do it again.
Sheldon

Claudia

Here is a picture of the adjustable bracket with the brake switch if it helps.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: DAYLEY/CHALLENGER on August 07, 2018, 01:45:23 PM
I had the switch to break apart on me and the lights stayed on....pic of the switch............

That looks like a standard Chevy switch.....  Look at the switch posted by Claudia, it's the correct part...

HP_Cuda

Here is a little cleaner pic from the back but Claudias is correct.

You may need to adjust it in or out based on you problem and you will find the adjusting bolt on the side,
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on August 08, 2018, 09:59:31 AM
Quote from: DAYLEY/CHALLENGER on August 07, 2018, 01:45:23 PM

That looks like a standard Chevy switch.....  Look at the switch posted by Claudia, it's the correct part...

That was the switch that was on the car when I got it.  That is the broken switch.  I replaced it but will have to see what I replaced it with.  Anyway the lights work!