Main Menu

Bypass dash dimmer switch

Started by 70rag383, October 26, 2020, 09:01:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JunkYardFind

@blown motor
Thanks for the update. Just purchased some exact replacement LED bulbs and going to install them today. My dash lights do come on but are so dim they are useless. The LED's may solve my problem. If not I will look into splicing the headlight wire direct to the dash light wire as you said. I will post here of my progress.

www.JunkYardFind.com What's In YOUR Garage ?

JunkYardFind

@blown motor
Well looks like the dash light problem is solved!
All I did was replace the 3 main bulbs on the light bar with BA9S LED bulbs.They light up WAY better than the original incandescent bulbs. Got them on Amazon for $9.99 for 10 bulbs.
Just ordered the 194 LED bulbs as there in one of these on the light bar also, lighting the dimmer/wiper panel.

Not sure what bulb is under the shifter console but I would bet the LED solves that problem also. The LED's come in ANY color you want if that's what your into.

My dimmer was "sort of" working and seems to be same with the LED's. I am able to get the near brightest selection to stay on so that works for now. I still am likely going to try the direct wiring route as well just to not deal with the dimmer at all. Been fighting with these damn dimmer switches for a LONG time.

worthywads

Quote from: JunkYardFind.com on January 29, 2021, 05:56:42 PM
@blown motor
Well looks like the dash light problem is solved!
All I did was replace the 3 main bulbs on the light bar with BA9S LED bulbs.They light up WAY better than the original incandescent bulbs. Got them on Amazon for $9.99 for 10 bulbs.
Just ordered the 194 LED bulbs as there in one of these on the light bar also, lighting the dimmer/wiper panel.

Not sure what bulb is under the shifter console but I would bet the LED solves that problem also. The LED's come in ANY color you want if that's what your into.

My dimmer was "sort of" working and seems to be same with the LED's. I am able to get the near brightest selection to stay on so that works for now. I still am likely going to try the direct wiring route as well just to not deal with the dimmer at all. Been fighting with these damn dimmer switches for a LONG time.

If I'm following, if you direct wire the LEDs with no dimmer it is going to be brighter than you want, mine with working dimmer is way to bright full ON.  Just cleaning up the spring will fix the dimmer if you pop it open, see the corrosion, and clean it up.  Real simple device.

JunkYardFind

@worthywads
Just put the LED's in today. Going to test drive at night tomorrow to see where I am at. I drenched the dimmer with WD40 before all this and it seemed to help. I actually have 2 switches so I will take your advice and tear one apart and see what happens.

worthywads

Quote from: JunkYardFind.com on January 29, 2021, 06:53:58 PM
@worthywads
Just put the LED's in today. Going to test drive at night tomorrow to see where I am at. I drenched the dimmer with WD40 before all this and it seemed to help. I actually have 2 switches so I will take your advice and tear one apart and see what happens.

WD40 was a good first attempt and could well be all you need, it is generally just surface corrosion that breaks up the contact between the spring coil and the tab on the dial.  You are gonna love the LEDs.

JunkYardFind

Well, I think the LED's is the place to start when you are having trouble with your dash lights. They work AMAZINGLY well! I have had my for 25 years or so and I cannot remember my dash lights ever working properly....till tonight! My dimmer even works now! I was able to get a small brush with more WD40 and clean the switch a little better. Now I have full brightness and dimmer ability! Now for the ALT gauge and heat control wire problem. Thanks for everyone's help here! I really appreciate it!