Main Menu

Can anybody identify this component?

Started by DodgeGuy, April 17, 2018, 02:05:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

DodgeGuy

So as I'm working through "untangling" the mess that is my wiring system (which I'm going to replace with new) under the hood I came across this component.  It's a little black box that is mounted on the aluminum intake manifold right beside the carb (a Holley double-pumper).  It has several wires coming out of it. 

There are 4 wires that connect it various other parts.

One red wire connected to a wire that splits off one of the field wires from the alternator.

A black wire connects into the carburetor, specifically to the positive choke lead.

A white wire that connects to a wire that comes from the MSD 6 AL Ignition Box.

And a 2nd black wire with a male end that seems to not be connected to anything (however, I found two wires that come together at a female connection closeby, also not connected to anything, I'm not sure if they are supposed to be connected, but maybe that's why my alternator wasn't charging?).

Someone suggested an aftermarket voltage regulator?

1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

Burdar

Since one wire connects to the electric choke, I'm going to guess it has something to do with that. Sometimes electric chokes can open too fast. That might be a resistor to slow the opening of the choke.

Do you have a factory voltage regulator on the firewall?

DodgeGuy

Quote from: Burdar on April 17, 2018, 06:11:47 PM
Since one wire connects to the electric choke, I'm going to guess it has something to do with that. Sometimes electric chokes can open too fast. That might be a resistor to slow the opening of the choke.

Do you have a factory voltage regulator on the firewall?

Yes, there is a factory voltage regulator on the firewall.  I thought the same thing you suggested, that since it was wired into the electric choke on the Holley Carb, that it was some kind of control unit for that?

However, on another Mopar message board a poster wondered if it was some kind of aftermarket voltage regulator.  I'm guessing since it was also wired into a field wire from the alternator he might have felt that way, although I have no idea why it would then be connnected to the carb. 

My guess is since it's connected to the carb electric choke it controls/regulates that somehow, and it's wired into the alternator in order to provide it with power.  Does that sound logical?

I'm honestly getting back up to speed on all these components after almost 25 years away from it, and while I'm learning/remembering VERY quickly, I'm not sure about all of it yet.

Honestly, it would really help to figure this thing out.  There are ZERO identifying markings on it whatsoever, no numbers, no letters, no anything.

EDIT: I just did a google search, and while I couldn't find a picture, there were several message board where knowledgeable posters posted something very similar to what you did.  That is, adding in some type of resistor to slow the opening of the choke.

1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

71-440

Some old carb setups had a unit that controls the voltage that heats the choke coil. That maybe what that is. :alan2cents:
Joe