Main Menu

Car keeps stalling when headlights turned on

Started by erik70rt, April 17, 2017, 06:32:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

Wasn't sure in which section I should post this since it could be a number of things, so I put it here.

Finally got the alternator mounted and charging system working again.  Reset the timing/idle speed and it seems to be running well, and no longer stalls when pun in gear.  383 was rebuilt before I got it and I have no idea what cam it's running (not stock) nor do I know the stall speed of the converter.  I asked the previous owner and he didn't know either. 

What's happening is that it stalls out as soon as I turn on the headlights while it's in gear.  The idle is set around 850-900 rpm now, and I really don't want to bump it up anymore if I don't have to do it.  I'm at a bit of a loss here.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Chryco Psycho

The headlights should not put enough load to stall the engine
Where is the timing set ? it should be around 16* at idle especially with a performance cam , advancing the timing will help it idle better ,you can return the idle speed to 800 rpm range as it will rise with more initial timing , I would also remove the vacuum advance hose o you do not over advance with RPM

Cuda Cody

This is a long shot, but try cleaning the connections on the ground.  The battery, radiator support and engine.  Just a thought, but weak grounds can do funny things.

erik70rt

erik70rt

Reset it to approx. 16 and idle at 850-900.  That seems to have done the trick. 

I need to replace a LOT of the wiring soon as it has splice upon splice upon splice..........

Thanks!!!

Chryco Psycho

Cuda Cody

Glad it's working better now!  And  :bravo: Chryco Psycho

Chryco Psycho

Keep working on tuning the carb & tuning there is generally a lot more there

erik70rt

Was working the carb the during the whole process.  I'll give it a test ride tonight since I didn't get to last night.