Main Menu

Challenger Parking Light Sockets

Started by Blowout, June 14, 2024, 06:59:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Blowout

Hey Guys,

Usually I find my answer by searching, but came up short on this one.  Knowing me, I probably missed it.

My Challenger had its parking lights removed years ago and store in a box of parts.  I cleaned them up with some degreaser and was going to reinstall into the valance.  While doing so, I wasn't able to get the bulbs out of the sockets on either one.  After some MacGyver tactics, I was able to remove them.  However, there is rust in the sockets.  How have you guys cleaned these?  I thought about soaking the whole thing in some Evaporust, but wasn't sure?  Toss these and find some others?

Thanks for any feedback.

71GranCoupe

A picture of what you are dealing with may help with some suggestions.

RUNCHARGER

Soaking in evaporust or vinegar should work. Only thing to watch for is something that would attack the little springs that keep the terminals tensioned against the bulbs.
Sheldon

Blowout

@71GranCoupe I'll try to get some later today.

@RUNCHARGER I'm thinking the same.  Thanks for the reply.

71GranCoupe

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 14, 2024, 01:12:35 PMSoaking in evaporust or vinegar should work. Only thing to watch for is something that would attack the little springs that keep the terminals tensioned against the bulbs.

I totally agree with Sheldon!

Evap-o-rust WILL destroy the springs, PERIOD. Had this happen on my hard to find 71 Cuda hood release assembly. I put it in the solution for a short time and upon rinsing off, it was apparent the spring was now broken. It worked perfectly before the insertion of the rust removing. The unit only had light surface rust. NEVER use anything with a spring of any sorts in the solution, no matter what others say.

Floyd

This stuff works well on corrosion found on electrical connections, that whitish, blue-green crystalline type.  I doubt it will do anything to your garden variety metallic rust however.

Dakota

I had the same issue with bulbs rusted in place on the front side marker lights for my Challenger. It was easier for me to replace the pigtails than try to clean up the old ones.

fc7cuda

Quote from: Dakota on June 14, 2024, 06:54:02 PMI had the same issue with bulbs rusted in place on the front side marker lights for my Challenger. It was easier for me to replace the pigtails than try to clean up the old ones.

Same here.

Blowout

@Dakota or @fc7cuda  I haven't checked, but do they make replacement pigtails for the front parking lights and is that something easy to do?

fc7cuda

Quote from: Blowout on June 14, 2024, 08:21:20 PM@Dakota or @fc7cuda  I haven't checked, but do they make replacement pigtails for the front parking lights and is that something easy to do?

Yes.  Your best option is to reach out to Mike Ross for this. @HEMICUDA

Dakota

If you do a Google search for "70 Challenger side marker pigtail" you'll come up with a couple of sources including Josh's Muscle Car Parts and PG Classic. Roseville Moparts (site sponsor) sells the pigtails and housings as an assembly.

The challenge (no pun intended) with buying only the pigtail is that the socket has to be crimped onto the housing.  I beat mine into submission using a variety ratchet sockets.   This approach worked but the result won't win any appearance awards.   I'be heard there are people (like Mike Ross) that have the tools to do this crimping correctly but I don't have any direct experience here.

FE5CUDA

Reach out to Mike Ross, not only does he have pigtails, I've watch him install them in side markers as well as front parking lights.  He has a press and the correct dies for both size pigtails that he's been installing for guys for free for years.

CHL2T

Wrap a small piece of sandpaper or emery cloth around your finger and sand the rust out, follow up with some dilectric grease. Been doing this for years on any car I've owned that had rusty sockets.

Burdar

The pigtails on 72-74 cars are different.  Mike only has/had the correct pigtails for 70-71.  If using on a 72-74, you'd have to cut off the molded end and crimp on the correct female terminals.  At that point I'd be worried that the pigtails would be too short to hook up to the headlight harness.

Blowout

Funny that you guys started this topic up again.  I just got them put back together and working this past weekend.  I soaked them in Evap-o-rust like you guys mentioned not to do, but i figured what do i have to lose at this point.  Afterwards, I cleaned them out as best as I could with a wire brush and a pick.  Went down and bought some new bulbs and applied some dielectric grease and assembled the light fixture.  Next day I tested them on a battery and both worked great.  So I think I am good now.  Thanks for all the feedback.  :cheers: