Main Menu

Charging issues - Still need help

Started by Spikedog08, June 08, 2018, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Spikedog08

So I finally got out in one of the cars last night and all seemed good, everything looked normal.  Cruising down the road Alt gauge was where is typically is on the charging side. Minute later look down and it is discharging??  Then as I'm looking at it . . . it bounces back to the charging side.  Everything is pretty new but it appears that I have a loose connection somewhere??  I checked everything on the alternator and nothing seems to be loose or corroded? 

So my question is . . . where else should I check?  Where else does the charging circuit run that could have a short?   :notsure:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Bullitt-

First place I would look is the voltage regulator mount... tight & clean for a good ground.
  of course it can be any one of a multitude of connections issues. 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Spikedog08

Quote from: Bullitt- on June 08, 2018, 07:22:32 AM
First place I would look is the voltage regulator mount... tight & clean for a good ground.
  of course it can be any one of a multitude of connections issues.

That is a place I did not think of . . .  :worship:

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
Bad regulator ground or bad reg

Spikedog08

Didn't have a chance to check that today but hope that is the cure!  Thanks guys!  This site is awesome! 

:worship:

Spikedog08

So I have checked many things, cleaned many connections but today had the same issue . . . was going well and then, not charging again!  Strange thing I noticed is when it is not charging, my turn signals don't work??  Makes me wonder if my brake lights are working as well?  Now I am thinking it is a ground issue, so what ground would affect the charging system and the turn signals?  Someone please bring a meter to Carlisle if I don't get this figured out prior . . . mine is dead. 

:pullinghair:

Cuda Cody

What else is on when this happens?  Lights, Radio, AC, Heat?  When you are driving and turn on the lights what happens to the Alt gauge?

Spikedog08

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 09, 2018, 01:58:57 PM
What else is on when this happens?  Lights, Radio, AC, Heat?  When you are driving and turn on the lights what happens to the Alt gauge?

I'm gonna have to play with that . . . today was the first time I noticed that the turn signals didn't work.  Really not much else is running . . . I guess the electric fans could be running?   Radio is off, no AC in the car, 92* out so no heat, middle of the day so no lights . . .

Everything else is good, running good, shifting good . . . I'm afraid to shut it off and not have it start so limited driving until I get this figured out. 

71-440

Joe

Spikedog08

Quote from: 71-440 on July 09, 2018, 06:09:42 PM
Did you try swapping out the VR?

I have not but probably will . . Have a brand new one on the shelf.   :dunno:

Spikedog08

Now I have another question, since I run with electric fans and a shaker hood, I feel that can cause a lot of heat in the engine compartment at times.   I know the fans don’t run all the time and the shaker contains alot of the heat, could the VR be over heating? (It is pretty new)   If I switch it out and it fixes the issue, should I put something on the VR to get it off the firewall so it gets more air behind it?  I know my 73 has a mount that pulls the VR off the firewall . . Thoughts? 

734406PK

Quote from: Spikedog08 on July 09, 2018, 12:53:31 PM
So I have checked many things, cleaned many connections but today had the same issue . . . was going well and then, not charging again!  Strange thing I noticed is when it is not charging, my turn signals don't work??  Makes me wonder if my brake lights are working as well?  Now I am thinking it is a ground issue, so what ground would affect the charging system and the turn signals?  Someone please bring a meter to Carlisle if I don't get this figured out prior . . . mine is dead. 

:pullinghair:

The turn signals and brake lights not working at the same time as when the alternator stops charging? I think you may have a bad connection at the main splice of the dash harness behind the ammeter.  Not easy to get to, but it is a common point for the alternator output and the BAT side of the fuse block. The turn signal and brake fuses are there.  :thinking:

71-440

I don't know how heat would affect the VR  but I do know under hood temps on my car are pretty high. I have electric fans also.
I removed the block off plates on the scoops and the heat that comes out of them when at a stand still is pretty
amazing. I'm sure the small amount of air that gets in while cruising helps. :alan2cents:

Joe

Brads70

Quote from: Spikedog08 on June 08, 2018, 07:05:08 AM
So I finally got out in one of the cars last night and all seemed good, everything looked normal.  Cruising down the road Alt gauge was where is typically is on the charging side. Minute later look down and it is discharging??  Then as I'm looking at it . . . it bounces back to the charging side.  Everything is pretty new but it appears that I have a loose connection somewhere??  I checked everything on the alternator and nothing seems to be loose or corroded? 

So my question is . . . where else should I check?  Where else does the charging circuit run that could have a short?   :notsure:

Might be the electric fan coming on and off? Maybe your alternator can't keep up with the electrical add ons? I ran into that issue with mine  when I ran a stock alternator.

"Strange thing I noticed is when it is not charging, my turn signals don't work??  Makes me wonder if my brake lights are working as well?"
If the alternator won't keep up maybe there is not enough amperage to run the flasher?  :notsure:

Cuda Cody

Could it be everything is working fine and the gauge just lost contact for a bit?   :notsure:  If you are still running and driving it and the battery has not gone dead it doesn't sound like it's causing any problems?  You need to drive it more to get a baseline.   :alan2cents: