Main Menu

Cigarette Lighter DELETE Question

Started by anlauto, December 18, 2022, 06:51:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I'm looking at a set of electric exhaust dumbs from Hooker Headers....the system looks nice and has a remote to activate the dumps, but the whole system just plugs into a cigarette lighter for power :looney:  I don't have one ? What are my options other then adding a cigarette lighter ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

Cut the lighter plug off and direct wire it to a power source.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Katfish

Just cut the cigarette adapter off and wire the leads to any 12V source you want.

anlauto

So that plug isn't any type of resistor thing that lowers the voltage or anything ? It's just two wires inside, red and black ? That sounds simple. :twothumbsup: you'd think that they would make that an option... :huh:

I reached out to Hooker to see what they have to say, or if they even answer me at all....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

70vert

I don't have a link handy, but you can buy the female socket and wire it in if you are nervous about cutting the harness. Also that way it would be easily removable if needed. I have done something similar in a previous vehicle to add a boom-box plug in the trunk area (=old).

71GranCoupe

Before doing any cutting, check your wiring as if memory is correct, there are live wires with open connections for this. The clock, the cig outlet is just two that come to mind. Again, I would only cut a wire as a last resort.

anlauto

Quote from: anlauto on December 18, 2022, 07:20:38 PM
So that plug isn't any type of resistor thing that lowers the voltage or anything ? It's just two wires inside, red and black ? That sounds simple. :twothumbsup: you'd think that they would make that an option... :huh:

I reached out to Hooker to see what they have to say, or if they even answer me at all....

I heard back from Hooker today, only 23 days later  :drunk:  The answer was yes but should add an in line fuse :dunno:

Dakota

The lighter will have a single wire feed, which is the (+) side.   You'll just need to ground the other side of the dump feed to a ground (-) to finish things off.  But... you'd need to decide if you want the dump switch to work at any time ("BAT" voltage, independent of the key position) or only when the key in "on" or in accessory mode ("ACC").   If I recall correctly, the lighter feed is of the BAT variety.   Before adding electrical goodies onto the car, the stock fuse panel will have one terminal of each type available.

The resistor for the cigarette lighter is the metal coil wound inside the lighter.