Main Menu

Colored wiring diagrams - 70 Cuda/Challenger

Started by shawge, April 04, 2017, 08:02:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JS29

@soccernut43  It's a voltage suppressor to operate gauge's like temperature and fuel.  :alan2cents:   

soccernut43

Thought I saw a capacitor up there when looking from the floor up to the top of the back of the dash. Yeah, something else to check out lol.

jamesroney

Please note that the wiring schematic from the OP is NOT for every 1970 Challenger.

It is only for the 1970 Challenger with the Ralley Cluster.  There is a DIFFERENT wiring diagram for a Standard dash.
It is worth pointing out that the Osborne Book "1970 Dodge Challenger Wiring Diagram Manual" has only one "center section" diagram...and it is for the other (Standard) Dash. 

This is obvious, and well known by e-body experts.  But if you are a newbie to e-bodies...you will drive yourself CRAZY trying to figure out why the diagrams don't match.

It gets harder when the alternator goes full field, and pushes 100 Amps thru the gage cluster before the bulkhead connector catches fire, and the ignition switch connector melts.  Then someone "fixes" it and tapes it all up.

Please don't ask why I know this...
BS23N0E

soccernut43

LOVE the old school Simpson Analog meter. Used to just keep one around to visually see the needle when checking capacitors.

soccernut43

I had planned on using the original wiring harness.  I've had the car stored indoors.  I've had the complete wiring assembly apart.  It doesn't look back and the actual wiring seems to be in good shape.  I'm torn between using the original harness and possibly bypassing the amp meter gauge, possibly getting the headlight circuit off the original wiring, and doing the same with the alternator, making connections for it on the starter relay.  Course I don't want to see my car go up in flames either.   

shawge

OP here.  Had some free time to work on adding color to the 70 Challenger standard dash wiring diagrams
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

MoparCarGuy

Colorized version of the Rallye Dash Wiring Diagram for the 1970 Barracuda adapted from the Challenger version with the correct 1970 Plymouth Service Manual page numbers and figure numbers.
I combined page 8-144 and 8-145 plus I inserted the 1970 logos to avoid confusion on what year the diagram covers.

twocudas

I have a question for you all.  I am installing one of the replacement harnesses in my 1970 barracuda, but adding the A01 that came out of a 1974 cuda.  The map lamp switch return M2-20Y and the time delay return M6B-18Y* are wired to the same pin on the wires from the 1974.  From what I can tell it might not make a difference, but the question is am I missing something?   Should I separate these two wires on the A01 harness and pin them into the two separate yellow and yellow* connectors?  Or can I just leave them on one pin?  The M6B-18Y* om the 1974 A01 harness does not appear to be a Y* just Y so no black line.

Thanks!

MoparCarGuy

Both of those are grounded so a common ground will work fine.

twocudas

That confirms what I suspected.  Thanks for the info!

abeasley

This will be very helpful on our rebuild project!

CookieMan

Can anyone please answer me where this pink wire on the main light switch goes ? I lost all of my rear and park lights except the front ones and im having trouble finding this in all the schematics posted here.

Skdmark

Looks like wire id L8-18P headlamp switch to fuse block
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

pschlosser

Quote from: HUSTLESTUFF on April 05, 2017, 03:32:38 AM
What program can you use to open these file?  Can't seem to find one

What computer are you using?  Most of them have a built-in picture viewer.  Let us know if you're still having trouble.