Main Menu

Cuda dies in gear with headlights on

Started by Montclaire, August 08, 2021, 09:29:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MoparLeo

Check the battery voltage at the posts with a volt/ohm meter. Now do the same test on the battery terminals. Should be no difference. If you have 12.5 or better at the terminals and the starter will not crank, need to track down the bad connection between the battery and the starter/ignition switch.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Montclaire

I've been stuck doing OT so I haven't gotten very far with it yet.  I did pull the headlight switch and put it on the multimeter, ohms out to zero so the switch is good.  Took the opportunity to clean up the dash dimmer and now that's working properly.  The left side bottom screw that secures the switch cluster to the dash frame (and I assume also provides a ground) was missing.  I replaced it but ran out of time and wasn't able to test if that cured the problem.  Assuming it doesn't, I'll move on to the tach and headlamp harness.  Thanks

Bullitt-

Did you unplug the sensors under the front seats?
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Montclaire

Not yet, but they're on the list.  I'm trying to be somewhat systematic about it. The headlamp switch was #1 for me because I would have to wait on sourcing a replacement if it was bad.  Now that I know the switch is a-ok, I can move forward.  I'll keep updating until it's solved.

Montclaire

Just wanted to post an update after testing/cleaning the switch contacts and replacing the screw on the grounding strap for the cluster.  First trial run the car was idling in gear with the lights on but cut out shifting across neutral and wouldn't crank in neutral.  Put it in park and it fired right up.  The dash dimmer is working a lot better but the dome light wasn't coming on.  I figured the bulb was burnt out.  Until it came on after I honked the horn.

Later on I decided to go for a quick ride.  Headlights operated normally while the car was in gear and at idle.  The car did cut out once during an extended wait at a light with the turn signal on.  It fired up in neutral this time and was fine after that. 

So it seems like I am chasing just a general grounding issue and will have to check the NSS as well.  The switch maintenance definitely improved things but I'm not 100% there yet.

Montclaire

How many ground straps should be on a 74?  The negative cable is new and I also replaced the ground to the radiator yoke.  Isn't there one on the rear of the block that terminates somewhere around the voltage regulator or ECU?  Thanks

dodj

Passenger side cylinder head to firewall.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Jsand73440

Did you ever resolve your electrical gremlins? I had similar issues in the past. My radio and lights would all go off, if i used the blinker. I haven't resolved it yet as i have been working on getting the car repainted. But I'm sure i will have more grounding issues once i get it painted and back together.