Main Menu

DENSO ALTERNATOR - ONE WIRE TYPE -- VOLTAGE REGULATOR STILL NEEDED?

Started by MOPAR MITCH, September 14, 2018, 12:11:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MOPAR MITCH

I'm planning to eventually install the 60 amp Denso alternator (for weight savings and better charging), but, I believe I've read that these Denso alternators have an internal voltage regulator... ???  So, does that mean the firewall mounted factory voltage regulator is no longer required?.. and then the wiring hangs un-connected?   Maybe I'm off in left field on this???   

T/Anks ahead!

chargerdon

With "one wire" alternators, the external Voltage Regulator is simply not needed.   

Word of warning.. i believe our old alternators were rated at only 45-50 amps...and our OEM wiring was weak at best (12 gauge wires are only rated to carry 20-25 amp !    So if your putting in a 60 amp alternator... i strongly recommend doing the ammeter bypass and using 10 gauge or better wire for the bypass.   

autoxcuda

I got the 102mm mini Nippondenso single V-groove pulley from like a Chevy Sprint 1985-88 in the junkyard. But the part number 31400-83010 corresponds to a Suzuki Samurai 1.3L 1986-1989, Chevy Sprint 85-88, Suzuki Swift 84-89 and possibly others. It seems to come in 45, 55, 60 amp versions from rebuilders. Mine tested fine at the parts store. It is the same physically as powermaster p/n 8122/8128 6.78 lbs. 102 mm. ( http://www.powermastermotorsports.co...ternators.html ) The stock ones are not one wire like the powermaster ones. But they have an internal regulator.

The alternator bolt holes that go to the head attachment need to be drilled out a little to accept the larger bolt.

I even used the existing brackets. But it was just a mock up on this 64-69 SB cast iron water pump housing. The alternator pulley was about a half to one groove off. Ok for driving around a little and testing, but not right for a permanent setup.

One way to correct the fitment issue would be to remove material of the backside on the front alternator ear. Or better, if I bent the orginal alternator bracket back offset between 1/4" to 1/2" amount, I would be good to go. Take the origal alternator adjuster bracket and shorten the engine side to fit.

For the 70- up aluminum water pump housing the fitment was even easier. We just cut down spacers to fit from HD sway bar end link kits of all things.

For the wiring just connect the input and output of the single field regualtor that goes to the back of the orginal alternator. I connected that to the "I" or �IG� Ingnition port of the Denso alternator. Same green wire that went to my alternator before. Then for the "S" sense port, I ran a jumper directly to the battery. Then the big output lug to the harness bolted on...

DONE!

Drove the car and night, NO dimming at idle. I mean nothing. Even with every electrical item I had turned on. I even put it in gear, revved it quick and jumped off the thottle so it would rev down to 400 rpm. Just an ever so hint of a dim lugged down to 400 rpm. With the previous alternator, the night before I could hardly see my instrument lights at idle! This Denso thing is AWESOME.

Alternator guage is still hooked up and didn't falter a bit. The voltage in the battery was 12.2v non running. Running it was 13.8 then would slowly climb to 14.1-2. When you put all the electrical draw on it, it wouldn't even change a tenth of a volt!

70-up aluminum water pump fitment.

69-down cast iron water pump fitment. Temporary mockup. Not permenent fitment or wiring

simply bypass the regulator. I still run my factory amp gauge. works fine.

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Mpdlawdog

Hey stranger...I just did mine...I did what chargerdon said and bypassed the amp gauge and put in a volt gauge.....ran the wire to my positive side of my junction box....I rewired my car so the lights, electric fan and fuel pump are each on a different circuit and what not....
Ive been wanting to ask you some questions about setting up my car for the events you run...hope the engine rebuild is going good!!

MOPAR MITCH

All -- T/Anks for the replies and pics.

I'll be building my new engine hopefully within the next couple months, and then hopefully installed into the car before winter starts.  Denso alternator (and volt gauge) will be a winter project...  with the rest to do.