Main Menu

Dimmer switch coil spring

Started by RJChallenger, September 23, 2018, 04:54:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RJChallenger

I have a dimmer switch with a 2799 date code. The coil spring has popped out of the recessed groove . Has any body rebuilt a dimmer switch and if so what did you use to secure / glue the coil spring into position ? I really would like to keep the original dimmer switch that came with the car. thanks every one

jimynick

I bought a new one from Rock Auto for less than $10; you could buy one and disassemble it and put on your case if that's the length you wish to go to. Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Brads70

Cuda Cody

Katfish

Quote from: jimynick on September 23, 2018, 05:18:46 PM
I bought a new one from Rock Auto for less than $10; you could buy one and disassemble it and put on your case if that's the length you wish to go to. Just my  :alan2cents:

Didn't realize these are available new, got a PN?

RJChallenger

I'm not sending a dimmer switch to another country . I'm not buying a  switch from china. I just wanted to glue and test this switch and thought that maybe someone had done this before . I'll just try epoxy  and find out myself

Chryco Psycho

I did not think the cap was glued on , I thought the cap had crimps on each side to keep it from popping off

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

I think he's referring to a dash dimmer, not the headlight dimmer....

RUNCHARGER

One would expect epoxy to work for that.
Sheldon

RJChallenger

Yes it's the dash dimmer switch. I have four of them. Two more 69 and one 73 date code dimmers. As a millwright  I just don't buy things,I fix things. .To some of you people with more money than time, That's fine. I haven't worked in three years due to back problems. If I want / need parts for my car I have to trade / sell parts, to then be able to afford them . If I was able to fix this dimmer and have a  properly date coded factory switch in my 70 challenger, I then would have (two) like new dimmers to sell or trade. What makes this site "AWESOME" is the knowledge everyone is willing to share. Thanks

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on September 23, 2018, 08:33:35 PM

That makes more sense...Jiminick sent my mind in the wrong direction with his $10 Rockauto part :drunk: :no:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Katfish

Any light glue should work.  Epoxy is a permanent fix, not removing that in the future.

jimynick

Quote from: anlauto on September 24, 2018, 05:10:33 AM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on September 23, 2018, 08:33:35 PM

That makes more sense...Jiminick sent my mind in the wrong direction with his $10 Rockauto part :drunk: :no:
Yep, because Jimynick was under the apparently erroneous impression that the "dimmer" was the headlight dimmer- on the floor. Silly me, and if you can fix something, then I think that's a good way to go. Good luck  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"