Main Menu

ECU Comparison

Started by 71383bee, October 20, 2018, 11:47:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71383bee

I recently redid the timing on the challenger and noticed its a bit unsteady at idle.  New plugs and wires look decent so i suspect the brain box and/or the distributor.  I also bumped the initial to 10 degrees and total came it right at 34.  I know she probably can handle some more initial but am limited now due to the current stock reman distributor.  So now i am considering getting a complete digital ECU/Coil/Distributor package from either Rev-N-Ator or the HRR688 package from FBO. 

Ive used some of Don's (FBO) earlier Ignition items before on my 71 383 Super Bee and was very pleased with it but i've also heard some good things about the Rev N Ator.  Have any of you had experience either way?
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

Topcat

Both have rev limiters.

FBO is solid state electronics.
Rev N Nator is still using transistors like a copy of the OEM units have inside.

I still have the FBO plate for sale if you're interested.

Run the 12V coil system and Firecore80 wires and you'll be good to go.

Topcat

BTW,

People must acknowledge this if using FBO ECU...

DO NOT use any MSD Blaster, Accell or parts store Coil, they are incorrect for the Micro-Processor Type FBO Ignition Box and will not perform correctly and could damage the ECU.  The Processor has been programmed to maximize output to the Flamethrower 40011 coil.

No other coil that we have tested will perform as well as the Pertronix 40011. The processor program is burned to match that coil. (We burn our programming to the processor in house)

GrandpaKevin

Bought the complete ignition setup from FBO 2 years ago.

FBO ECU, distributor that was custom tuned for my engine combo, Flamethrower coil and ballast bypass wire.

Mounted the ECU in the stock location.

Everything has performed perfectly. :twothumbsup:

It appears the new distributors from FBO are similar to Firecore's?

blown motor

I bought a Rev-N-Ator four or five years ago and use it with a Blaster 2 coil as recommended. Car starts great and runs great but I have little experience with this stuff and really nothing to compare it to. I wouldn't be afraid to buy another one for my next car.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

RUNCHARGER

If you guys  bought the stuff more than 2 months ago and the cars are still running it proves they are better than even the current MP chrome boxes.
Sheldon

dodj

Quote from: Topcat on October 20, 2018, 12:10:11 PM

Rev N Nator is still using transistors like a copy of the OEM units have inside.
Just nit-picking..transistors are solid state devices...
:D
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Topcat

Quote from: dodj on October 21, 2018, 05:52:35 PM
Quote from: Topcat on October 20, 2018, 12:10:11 PM

Just nit-picking..transistors are solid state devices...
:D

O.K. re clarified...PC board electronics vs. soldered/crimped connections.    ::)

BIGSHCLUNK

:rofl:     I'm still running ma's dizzy and orange box.....   :rubeyes:

71383bee

Thanks for the input. 

Don't get me wrong.  The car runs and starts good with the stock setup and my recent tuneup.  Adding those 5 degrees of initial really cleaned up the idle and way more responsive on the throttle.  I just know from experience that there is more to be had in the distributor tuning and when the light is on i can watch the mark dance a little which I'm assuming the box or the distributor itself is not as fresh as intended. 

I can tell the distributor is a reman and the box is a stock black box from chrysler.  My guess its a replacement from the 80's or so but not sure.  it has the numbers 4111850 over 1 over 1046 stamped on the face with the pentastar. 

I attached a photo of the box.  It may need to be rotated. 

The historical input is really nice to have here.  I'm glad to hear that some have used either for a few years with good results.  From a distributor replacement standpoint it sounds like either are very comparable. 
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

Cuda Cody

I've used the Rev-N-Nator and like it.  It's nice because it has an adjustable RMP limiter.  But I've heard good things about FBO too.

RUNCHARGER

That's an old ECU. I find it amazing that stuff from the 70's still works and yet the new MP stuff lasts for days.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

It had too , they were installing 1000s / day now they are just made in small batches , not everything new is better

Topcat

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on October 22, 2018, 06:30:04 PM

That's an old ECU. I find it amazing that stuff from the 70's still works and yet the new MP stuff lasts for days.

Because all the crap is coming out of China.
And TDGAF!...About QC.  :alan2cents:

JS29

Quote from: Topcat on October 22, 2018, 07:36:24 PM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on October 22, 2018, 06:30:04 PM

Because all the crap is coming out of China.
And TDGAF!...About QC.  :alan2cents:
:iagree:Well said!!!