Main Menu

ECU Comparison

Started by 71383bee, October 20, 2018, 11:47:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

gzig, lol
Ya, I would call that significant, but I have never seen such a beast. Everything I deal with from variable frequency drives, plc's, power distribution of large factories and cities, I have never seen a pcb that could carry anywhere close to what you are saying. Once you start dealing with power you generally move to stand alone semi-conductors and buss bar.
Just curious, why would you want to put 150 amps through a pcb? Pcb's are generally fragile compared to wiring/cabling in my experience.

The point I was making re, the CPU, is that just because it uses a pcb doesn't automatically make it better.

@gzig5
Can I ask what kind of device's you make? Always willing to learn.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

gzig5

I work for a large industrial automation company that does everything from push buttons and click-clack stuff up through PLCs, HMIs, VFDs, Servos, Motors, and Software.  If you are familiar with the industry it should be too hard to figure out based on my location in SE Wisconsin.  I'm in the motion control division.  We use PCBs in our products because they are much more efficient for production and give a more consistent result unit to unit because the trace impedance can be controlled and/or manipulated.  Also, there is far less human interaction, which improves quality overall.  Yes, at some point the pcb loses its efficiency in this regard and you need to got to buss bars and such, but we have drives from 200W up to 115kW and all of them have a multilayered power board.  When you are shipping several thousand products a month you can't be bolting individual parts together and soldering/crimping wires, it takes too long.  At some point the components get too big to solder reliably and we rely on other assembly techniques and the occasional fastener to make it work.  We're probably at the limit of the technology now for current/voltage capacity, but who knows.

Back to the original topic, I would rather see a PCBA in the box than a hand bread-boarded assembly because I know that if they got the original design right, every product produced after that will be essentially identical and easier to control variables that affect quality.  This is easily accomplished at the power levels or our car's ignition controls.

rtgarage01

Thank You  :thankyou: for your supporting our U.S. made mopar specific Rev N Nator ECU!
Glad you are enjoying the benefits of your Rev box!
Happy to help with any questions. :)

rtgarage01

Hi Topcat, here is correct info on Rev N Nator ECU.  It is digital, converting analog to digital.
Hope this helps having the facts  :cooldance:
REV-N-NATOR ECU FACTS :
  Ignition Box Type Inductive

Circuitry: Modern Digital using a 32 bit 64K 50 MHz PSoC operating @ 5.00 VDC

Rev Limiter: Yes- Easy to use push button 5000-7,500 RPM 500 RPM Increments Algorithm Type- Drops out every other cylinder and holds RPM to selected Rev Limit. 7

Digitally correct Positive Stop Rev Limits Including 3,000 RPM test setting.

Timing Retard: None

Data Acquisition: No

CD Voltage output to Coil: N/A to inductive Ignition Applications

ICU Current Draw: Standby KOEO...22mA

With Ballast Resistor: KOER @ Idle... 1.50 A KOER @ 7,500 RPM... 2.30 A

Wiring Installation: Plug & Play- Stock Mopar Plug and Ballast Resistor. Can run without Ballast Resistor for limited use.

Example: Drag Racing 

Minimum Operating Voltage: 4.50 VDC with Ballast Resistor- Spark plug will fire

Maximum Operating Voltage: 18.00 VDC- Internally regulated and protected

Full Load Maximum Output: Up to 40KV @ 7,500 RPM without Ballast Resistor

Spark Output: Not Measured ( millijoules )

Length ( Inches ): OEM box length of 4.125", OEM overall length of 5.500", OEM mounting holes C to C 4.938"

Height ( inches ): OEM Height of 1.125"

Width ( inches ): OEM Width of 3.188"

Shipping Weight: 17 oz
Made in USA :unitedstates:

rtgarage01

Ma Mopar box, is great to have on hand, but many engines were over revved back in the day! And this applies to any stock street motor as well as a hot rod car.It was the reason we came out with The Rev N Nator for Mopar fanatics. To still have that old school look, but rev limiting protection and wake up the motor as well. We like having the protection and being stealthy at the same time. 8)

rtgarage01

Not the Rev N Nator Ignition!
Made right here in Minnesota...USA :unitedstates:

RUNCHARGER

The Ma Mopar boxes made currently are junk, all of them. I would not buy one.
Sheldon

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: rtgarage01 on August 16, 2019, 03:12:11 PM
Thank You  :thankyou: for your supporting our U.S. made mopar specific Rev N Nator ECU!
Glad you are enjoying the benefits of your Rev box!
Happy to help with any questions. :)

Your website indicates that it is currently unavailable.  When do you expect to have them in stock again?

ForgeMaster

I wouldn't be in a hurry if I were you. First, you should check everything, including the brain box. Try using a diagnostic tool (the main thing is that it is not a cheap replica with evilbay). After that, you will be able to make accurate conclusions about what you should repair, As well as perhaps you will help rewire the brains, some of it also helped. Judging by the comparison with the site cararac.com/ this model doesn't have the best brains, so that may be the problem. The most important thing is that you do not use unreliable and unpopular firmware, as in this case you can only make it worse. I hope you can solve your problem, good luck!