Main Menu

EFI switched power source

Started by fireguyfire, March 09, 2021, 02:35:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chaps70rt

I am also running the internal pump from Holley that was made for the e-body tank without the return line and it runs great.   Left the original lines under the car and ran a new high pressure rubber line for EFI use with AN fittings and associated rubber lined clamps.   Works great, no leaks.   Added some heat protection for the fuel hose from the throttle body to under the passenger seat as insurance and added protection.  I believe they are both Earl's product.  You will need to buy a AN blocking piece for the return off the throttle body for the above.
70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

GrandpaKevin

Great news on the Holley pump. :twothumbsup:

Is the fuel sending unit working good an is accurate?

Skdmark

So far the sending unit on mine seems accurate. I was down to about an 1/8  tank and added 5 gallons which brought it up to a half tank. Have driven 50 miles and it has gone down to a ~1/4 tank. Next trip is to fill up and will see how many gallons it takes.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

worthywads

I also just got a Holley Sniper working on my 360.  Also with the in-tank no return needed fuel pump.

As for the accuracy of the sending unit, it seems to have a few issues so far.  First it is reading higher that ever when full, old one never got much higher than 3/4.   However t can move up and down significantly while cruising around.  For instance I fire up and it may hold 1/2 full for a few minutes and then climb to 3/4 and stay there for awhile and gradually stay more stable, then shut off and restart a little later and it's lower than when before shutting off. I've only filled up twice and the second fill was only 8 gallons when the gauge was showing close to 1/4, similar to the old sending unit.

Hoped for an improvement, time will tell, still only 250 miles.

worthywads

So I put on 3000 miles with the EFI and Holley in tank fuel pump sending unit.  Not very linear at all.

I did close to 20 tanks and it was pretty consistent but way off as described below.

First 20 miles no drop at all.

At 35-40 miles it quickly drops to right over half full dash.  Never filled at this point but guessing 3 gallons used.  I averaged 12 mpg cruising at 75-80.

at 90-100 gallons it is right over 1/4 tank dash, filled up multiple times at this level, 8 gallons used.

at 160-170 miles right over empty dash, 14 gallons

If I kept going the needle would continue to drop but never get to where it completely cleared to the left of the E dash.  I went at lowest 16.4 gallons, but also 15.5 at same reading.  Not knowing exactly where my next gas station would be I didn't push it any lower.

TL:DR

1/2 tank 3 gallons
1/4 tank 8 gallons
E tank 14 gallons

anlauto

That's with the factory gauge ? I'm going to use this pump with my next project but with a Dakota Digital dash....I wonder if it's your gauge not calibrated correctly ??? Just grasping a straws here :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

worthywads

Quote from: anlauto on October 14, 2021, 04:14:07 PM
That's with the factory gauge ? I'm going to use this pump with my next project but with a Dakota Digital dash....I wonder if it's your gauge not calibrated correctly ??? Just grasping a straws here :dunno:

Original factory gauge, seems like it's accurate once at the empty level.  Is there a way to calibrate throughout the entire range?

anlauto

I have no clue, that's why I asked...hopefully someone can answer that question  :fingerscrossed:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7212Mopar

If the Holley integral in tank pump and fuel level sender is not specific to Mopar, then you might need to use the Tanks Inc Meter Match with four calibration points. Don't get the knock off version which most only has two calibration points. I am using that to fix the problem with aftermarket sender inaccuracy. Seems to work much better for me and you can play with it more if you find your initial adjustment not to your liking.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

YellowThumper

Purchased but have yet to install this on mine. However, the writeup instructions appears to have numerous possibilities for proper correction of levels.
Hopefully soon. Factory in tank aftermarket sender with Autometer guage up front.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Skdmark

Holley claims they are precalibrated.
Mopar (and Ford) senders are
73 ohms for empty
10 ohms for full

1/2 tank is around 24 ohms

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

worthywads

Quote from: 7212Mopar on October 14, 2021, 05:28:51 PM
If the Holley integral in tank pump and fuel level sender is not specific to Mopar, then you might need to use the Tanks Inc Meter Match with four calibration points. Don't get the knock off version which most only has two calibration points. I am using that to fix the problem with aftermarket sender inaccuracy. Seems to work much better for me and you can play with it more if you find your initial adjustment not to your liking.

It is sold as specific to the 70-74 E-body tank.

But I'll look into the Meter Match.

However since I know E is around 14-15 gallons I can deal, just disappointed out of the box they can't get it right.