Main Menu

Help identify speaker and fader.

Started by Sir Keppa, January 12, 2019, 06:06:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Sir Keppa

A local offered me a rear speaker fader switch without the bezel and knob and a front centre speaker.

He doesnt know from what car the speaker is but he said i came out from a 70 Challenger.
Is it a factory one for 70 e-body?

Is the fader pot the correct one for my 70 R/T?
I dont know if i should buy it or wait for a complete one with bezel and knob.

:pokeeye:
Global is the new local!

JS29

Google the part numbers, that might help!  :alan2cents:

Slotts

The speaker physical size would mount onto the bottom package tray, if the speaker is in good working condition.

The rear speaker fader for an E body, either mono or stereo, have a much longer shaft than all the others model cars at that time due to the bezel thickness. The stereo knob is not what works on an E body, but you could always take the knob off to compare against the length of the E body fader shaft. The length of an E body in metric is 14.25 mm.

How's that from one German Mopar guy helping another German Mopar guy?  :bigthumb:

I do restore the faders, too.

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

Cuda Cody

Date code on the speaker appears to be 194th day of 1976.  I think.

Sir Keppa

Quote from: JS29 on January 12, 2019, 07:22:27 AM
Google the part numbers, that might help!  :alan2cents:
You are right. I tried that and get different results which i could not verify at that point.
There are a lot of different pictures when i google for the factory centre speaker.

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 12, 2019, 09:25:57 AM
Date code on the speaker appears to be 194th day of 1976.  I think.
Thanks Cody! I think i will keep looking for correct ones.

Quote from: Slotts on January 12, 2019, 08:18:36 AM
The speaker physical size would mount onto the bottom package tray, if the speaker is in good working condition.

The rear speaker fader for an E body, either mono or stereo, have a much longer shaft than all the others model cars at that time due to the bezel thickness. The stereo knob is not what works on an E body, but you could always take the knob off to compare against the length of the E body fader shaft. The length of an E body in metric is 14.25 mm.

How's that from one German Mopar guy helping another German Mopar guy?  :bigthumb:

I do restore the faders, too.

Jim

Thank you Jim  :germany: :drinkingbud:
I did not realize that the shafts are different but i can regognize it now after watching some pics.
From that point i will keep looking for an e-body pot with the correct bezel and knob installed to make sure i get the right thing.
Maybe some day there pops one of on eBay.

Thanks guys!
Global is the new local!

Sir Keppa

I made a really good deal on a speaker harness set which included the rear speaker knob.
There is a black and a black/dark green ground wire running to the 6-pin connector.
The black/dark green one is cut and as far as i see from the shematics its not in use??
On every pic i see online that wire seems cut.
I am wondering if thats factory or if it was spliced back in the days.
The naked cutted end hanging around just dont seems right to me.
Global is the new local!

Slotts

That is the way the wiring is supposed to be on that fader switch. The black wire is a ground. It is referred to as a "telescopic shield" for the other audio signal wires run with it. That was done to prevent RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) or EMI (Electromagnetic Interference). That is what the little round barrel is doing that plugs into the factory voltage limiter on the back of the gauge cluster. 

It is still a common practice to prevent a 60 Hz (AC) ground loop hums in studios and pro touring systems all the time with 600 Ohm balanced audio lines.

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

Sir Keppa

Thanks Jim!

That explains it for me. So everything is fine.
I will disassemble the pots tonight and clean the contacts.
Global is the new local!