Main Menu

Rallye Cluster Rear - Which Poles are the Ammeter

Started by Mopsquad, June 20, 2019, 05:02:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Remember to disconnect your battery first!

Personally I think the absolutely safest way with least chance of a future problem is completely disconnected from the ammeter and taped up with quality electrical tape and ty-wrapped securely.

:alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

I agree, I get the idea of tying it down to the one stud, but then that stud becomes a source of open live power behind your dash ?

Personally I think we're all over thinking this... :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

...and I think he meant "contorting" his body to reach behind the dash :'(
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mopsquad

Quote from: anlauto on June 21, 2019, 09:18:07 AM
I agree, I get the idea of tying it down to the one stud, but then that stud becomes a source of open live power behind your dash ?

Personally I think we're all over thinking this... :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

...and I think he meant "contorting" his body to reach behind the dash :'(

Yes, 'contort' would be a less confusing choice of word considering the picture I was trying to paint.  Lol

EDIT:  Fun fact.  Pulling the radio out and back makes this job so much more enjoyable.   :twothumbsup:

CudaMoparRay

dodj

Actually, both studs become +ve 12vdc.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: dodj on June 23, 2019, 08:12:48 PM
Actually, both studs become +ve 12vdc.

Which they have been since the car left the factory... I don't see a problem.. Where as a separate bolt taped up floats around potentially rubbing against something so if the tape fails either due to abrasion or adhesive failure now the wires potentially ground out....

The typically ammeter failure is heat caused by high resistance, not grounding out...

dodj

You missed the ty-wrapped securely part.
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 24, 2019, 08:34:10 AM
Which they have been since the car left the factory... I don't see a problem..
Agreed, not a problem. But if you want THE most reliable/safest way, I stand by what I said.  Ya, ya, I know...splitting hairs.  :cheers: