Main Menu

Engine harness question

Started by SilverFrost73, September 12, 2022, 02:11:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

SilverFrost73

Might be a dumb question and it might not matter, but I just want to make sure and do it right.

So I'm going to replace my engine harness, and under dash harness in my '73 cuda. It came stock with a 340, but at some point someone installed a '67 383 in it with points ignition. I'm going to pull the 383 and install a 440 with electronic ignition in it.

My question is when I replace the engine harness would it be better to buy a '70/'71 cuda 440 engine harness vs. using a '73 cuda engine harness seeing how a '73 didn't come with a 440? Will I be able to plug the '70/'71 harness into the '73 bulk head?

If not that brings up my next question. Will a '70/'71 dash harness work in a '73 without having to cut and splice wires?
Will I also need to change the '73 front and rear light harness?

If prayer isn't needed to accomplish your goals then you're not setting your goals high enough!
Unknown

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
Unknown

chargerdon

Just my opinion, but, i don't think the size of the V8 engine matters at all.   What's important is that i believe all 73's came equipped with electronic ignition and since your putting in another electronic ignition car the original wiring harnesses should be correct.   

Just recognize this...in 72 and newer all E bodies came with electronic ignition and they were a 5 wire ECU with 4 post ballast resistors.   I believe it was around 1980 that Mopar switched to the 4 wire ECU and a 2 post ballast resistor.    The 4 wire ECU will work in a 5 wire system with or without changing out the ballast resistor.   If you change the ballast just leave the other two wires off and taped.  It is a simpler system and the 4 wire ECU's are available at every auto parts store, while it is difficult to even find the older 5 wire versions...  (The 5th wire was a reduced voltage wire from the ballast resistor while the 4 wire ECU reduces the voltage internally. 

anlauto

There's enough differences on the 70/71 main harness compared to a 73 that will leave you scratching your head...One that comes to mind is the horns, in 70/71 it's wired in the engine harness, while in 73 it's in the headlight harness, etc...
In my opinion, I would stick with a 73 main dash harness. :alan2cents:

then call Bill Evans, if he doesn't already have a 73 E Body harness for a 383/770 with electronic in stock....he WILL make you one....great guy to deal with :twothumbsup:

http://www.evanswiring.com/default.htm
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Quote from: chargerdon on September 12, 2022, 03:39:33 PM
Just my opinion, but, i don't think the size of the V8 engine matters at all.

Actually the location of the distributor will make the difference between big and small block harnesses  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

SilverFrost73

That is exactly why I was considering the 70 harness. Not sure if the distributor wires will reach to the front of the block?
If prayer isn't needed to accomplish your goals then you're not setting your goals high enough!
Unknown

Unknown

SilverFrost73

Quote from: chargerdon on September 12, 2022, 03:39:33 PM
Just recognize this...in 72 and newer all E bodies came with electronic ignition and they were a 5 wire ECU with 4 post ballast resistors.   I believe it was around 1980 that Mopar switched to the 4 wire ECU and a 2 post ballast resistor.    The 4 wire ECU will work in a 5 wire system with or without changing out the ballast resistor.   If you change the ballast just leave the other two wires off and taped.  It is a simpler system and the 4 wire ECU's are available at every auto parts store, while it is difficult to even find the older 5 wire versions...  (The 5th wire was a reduced voltage wire from the ballast resistor while the 4 wire ECU reduces the voltage internally.

That is good to know, thank you for the info. :twothumbsup:
Unknown

Unknown

chaps70rt

Bill Evans makes the best repro harnesses.   I have two in my car (engine and rear body harness).   Plug and play ..... high quality parts!!
70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi