Main Menu

Engine Wire Harness Individual Wire Needed

Started by schlett7nu1, October 03, 2018, 06:36:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

schlett7nu1

All
I've got a 70 Challenger 440 with 727.  It's a low mileage survivor.  I'm looking to undo all the minor modifications done over the years.  One of those mods was a wire splice between the main engine bay harness and the relay.  At some point the original wire that I believe is the auto trans interlock ground wire was replaced with a blue heavier gage wire.  The spliced wire is shown in the two attached pics.  I'd like to find the original wire with connector from a removed/replaced harness and splice that in for correctness.  I believe the correct wire is black with a white or yellow tracer.  Anyone who may have a removed/replaced engine bay harness in a box in the garage that can help me out would be appreciated.
thanks
Dereck

Cuda Cody

Is that the fusible link that was replaced?

schlett7nu1

No fusible link in this wire as I believe it's a ground.  My pic shows the transition from the stock harness wire to a heavy gauge blue wire via a junction crimp connection.  This wire was spliced in and travels to the relay with an unprotected plug in connector.  From original pics of cars on-line this wire is black or black with tracer and there is a square black connector that plugs into the relay.  I'm not sure why this was done.  The wire may have been cut at some point and replaced with whatever was available to re-establish function.

Cuda Cody

Just trying to match your photo to see what wire it is...

schlett7nu1

Bingo.  Great pic.  I appreciate you taking the time to put this together.  It appears that the wire is brown with possibly a yellow or white tracer.  The original wire stub sticking out of the harness on my car suggests the same.  Interestingly, it also appears from your pic that the connector is special.  A length of that wire with the connector is what I need.  Hopefully, someone may have an original harness they are willing to cannibalize.  Thanks again for the pic.
Dereck

Cuda Cody

schlett7nu1

W303N8414 River Edge Dr
Hartland, WI 53029
I'm 35 miles west of Milwaukee
thanks

anlauto

The wire you're looking for is NOT in the engine harness, it's in the transmission harness. It's brown with a yellow tracer. Reproduction transmission wire harnesses are cheap enough you could buy one, remove the wire you need and tape it into your original harness. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

schlett7nu1