Main Menu

Engine wiring harness question?

Started by 750-h2, March 19, 2018, 08:33:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

Today I installed the engine wiring harness on my 1970 V code. I purchased it years ago from Megaparts and it is marked as a 1970 440 six pack harness. Problem is I  have an extra wire. At first I thought it was for the carburetor solenoid but according to my wiring diagram the solenoid is activated by a separate wire that goes directly to the back of the alternator. Now I'm thinking this wire might be be for the electric advance retard on a 1971 six pack distributor. Anyone have any idea? Thanks

Cuda Cody

I thought blue was the solenoid?  Could it be a wire for the AC compressor?  I know 6 packs did not have AC, but could the kits be universal?   What brand wiring is it?

Shane Kelley

That blue wire is a key on hot. Some replacement engine harnesses include it for a electric choke. Your harness is possibly for a 4 barrel also and they may have just included it. That's how it was on my 340 harness when I called and asked about it.   :alan2cents:   I will say that the connector was a spade female type on mine and yours is a barrel connector so you might want to make a call to be sure. Do you know who made it? Most likely M&H or Evans. 

Gary

It goes to the electronic retard on a 4 barrel engine and from their also ties into the solenoid.  Your six pak does not use the spark retard vacumn advance, that started in 71. And you are right it does splice into the alternator field wire in the harness. I can take pictures of my 70 4 barrel if you want, but that won't help you with yours.

750-h2

Thanks guys! Not sure of the manufacture as it just says Megaparts on the tag. I guess I will just make it disappear as I do not believe it correct  for a V code.

anlauto

Does the harness have the blue wire that runs around to the idol stop solenoid as well ? It's not usually a separate wire, it should be in the harness.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

750-h2

No, its not there.  Looks like I have a 440 U code harness.

6bblgt

where are the coil wires?  6-pack right rear & 4bbl right front - or are they long enough to fit either location?

750-h2

Coil wires are towards the front. You can see them in the picture. They would likely reach the coil but would be tight. I think I will have to cut the top of the harness wrap to get the coil wires out at the rear and then re wrap the harness. :crying: Too late to return this one as I bought it at the Mopar Nats about 10 years ago.

anlauto

You can lengthen the blue wire in your hand to run to the idol stop solenoid while you're at it :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration