Main Menu

Faulty coil?

Started by Hood, July 22, 2020, 11:30:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Hood

I couldn't get my engine to start after sitting in storage for 12 months. The carb had gas but when I checked for spark at the plug there was none. After I tapped on the coil with my wrench the engine fired up instantly. I bought a new coil but haven't had the time to install it.
Just curious as to why the coil worked after smacking it.
Original owner with 100% documentation.
Ordered my Cuda on September 29th 1972

nsmall

Welcome to the site.  :welcome:

Put on the new coil, easy job.  Glad you got your ride started.  :bradsthumb:

CudaMoparRay

:welcome: From Riverside California

dodj

Well I can't think of a definite reason. I suppose it's possible you moved the connectors ever so slightly and improved the connection? :dunno: But a faulty coil won't fix itself with a whack from a wrench so.....
I'm thinking it's also possible that something else happened unrelated to the coil whack. Like your foot moved the column connector when you got it to start it the last time?
All wild a$$ guesses though.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Rich G.

First step in trying to fix anything is to give it a wack!

Hood

All I know is that I had #1 spark plug grounded to the header and there was no spark when cranking engine. I gave the coil a couple taps with my wrench then I  had my wife crank it over and it fired up instantly.  All the ignition wires are new and the wires on the coil terminals are tight. The coil is the factory coil from 1972. Maybe it's something else.
Original owner with 100% documentation.
Ordered my Cuda on September 29th 1972

Chryco Psycho

Crazy !!
Pertronics has a black high output coil that really looks stock FYI .