Main Menu

FIREWALL BLOCK

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, June 29, 2017, 04:53:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

BIGSHCLUNK

Greetings! Yes BIGS is still kickin' altho very low and slow. Just today my dad was diagnosed with vascular dementia....  It's been really tuff to get motivated and out to see my girl in the garage. That being said...

A few years ago I had Redline convert my amp gauge / upgrade my clock ect. There was one part of that job that I never finished due to my moms health issues - the dreaded burnt terminal in the firewall block. I know somewhere there was a thread on repair without taking the entire harness out. Can anybody steer me in the right direction?  :wrenching:  :notsure:

Chryco Psycho

jimynick

Wow, there's a part that's been needed for lot of years by a lot of folks! Cool!  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Chryco Psycho

Chryco Psycho

chal340

70 Dodge Challenger 340 A66.

Cuda Cody

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Replacing the bulkhead is not very hard.  There is a slight difference between a 1970 and 1971+ in that the replay for the horn is different.  But the 1971+ will work on the 1970 as long as you use the newer replay too.  That's pretty much what everyone does when they get new wiring.

BIGSHCLUNK

WOW!!   I don't think that was available when I first looked at it.  Thanks !!!!   :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

BIGSHCLUNK

Looking at the EBAY add, shipping should take 20 minutes...  :ohyeah:  Is it feasible to pop out the old connecters without destroying them? Or better to cut and just crimp all new ones............ ?  I hate opening cans of worms that will take till labor day to finish. Taking care of my dad is harder than running the shop........... 

Roadman

Was thinking about you the other day Bigs, good to see you post. I can relate to your situation as I'm my mom's primary care giver. Pretty much a full time job. But she will be happy in these years if there is anything I can do. After my hospital visit I'm planning on shutting down my shop anyway, it's time.

BTW, I would cut the wires and install the new terminals right at the block.   :alan2cents: :rebelflag"

Chryco Psycho

if they are in good condition the terminals can be easily removed , I would replace only if nessisary as the factory crimps are likely better  :alan2cents:

BIGSHCLUNK

Roadman, thanks for the kind words. Right now its like I have no time to even think. Its a roller coaster that just wont stop. Its 3 full times jobs - my shop/my dad/ and get the house they were living in done to get it on the market  :headbang:

As for cutting VS crimping I suppose I should pull it apart first. The wires visually look "ok". If I need to crimp I will need to get one of those "factory style" crimpers (another link I saw somewhere) other crimps seem to loosen up over time.   I had good intention on at least getn' NIKKI's oil changed today and getn' her fired up. DID NOT HAPPEN.

blownmotor - come to town I need a diversion!

Chryco Psycho

My condolences that it has been such a rough year for you .
You are in my prayers

Bullitt-

Good to hear from you Chris, sorry for the situation with your dad..mine's goin downhill as well, dementia stuff ain't no fun.
Really was hoping that you and the Mrs could make it to Carlisle this time.   :waving:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Jay Bee

Hi Chris, sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis too.

The bulkhead connector is also available from Evans Wiring (like to put in a plug for a good friend). I've changed one out myself, like other have said, it's not overly hard. Not to state the obvious BUT just triple check and be 100% sure each wire is in the right spot. I only replaced the burnt connectors, the other were fine at the time.