Main Menu

FM Radio

Started by kawahonda, July 18, 2018, 07:04:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

While I enjoy the nostalgia of the AM radio, AM is pretty limited, mostly to foreign music and politics, both of which I don't like very much.

Is there a solution to adding FM radio reception without replacing the stock unit? I heard they make those FM/USB things that plug into the cigarette lighter and by magic, you get sound playing through the speaker, either from a connected USB device and it picks up FM waves. Anyone try one of these?
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Topcat

70/6chall

My '70 Challenger came stock with the 2 Watt Music Master R11 AM radio. After awhile, as you, I tired of what music it could produce by turning it on. A fortunate trip to my local U-Pick yard scored me an R35 10 Watt AM/FM OEM stereo for the princely sum of $10. from a '70 Challenger they had just dropped. 20 years ago, and that thing plays beautifully, heck even the green stereo light illuminates. I added the 3 speaker dash pad w/ the factory 3" speakers a pair of Pioneer 6x9 tri-axial speakers in rear and better sounds. Do check Wards in Alabama they know their stuff and good people to deal with.  Thanks,   Al

Racer57

Back in the day Radio Shack and others sold FM converters. They worked just like portable XM units do.

kawahonda

Al, I think you got very lucky to buy an AM/FM radio that fits perfectly for $10 and is period correct for a 1970 Challenger. Am I wrong?  :woohoo:

Radi-Rad is an option, but it seems ] expensive to spend $100 for an aux port. I don't think I want to plug in my iPhone THAT bad. Maybe $50 bad, but not $100 bad. Aux Ports are going out of style anyways...it's all about Bluetooth nowadays without any sort of wire-dongle to worry about. My next phone won't even have an aux port...so essentially I'd need to tag my iPod Nano or something a long that would stay with the car...

I also miss FM a lot, too, so it's not a complete solution.

In addition, the current AM radio and speaker combo seems like it could be louder....can that be solved by a dash speaker replacement? I don't mind mono, just wonder if a modern direct-replacement dash speaker would have more volume than what's in there now, or is that more of the wattage that the factory AM radio is able to provide?

1) Is there a cheaper alternative to adding an aux input rather than spending $100 for a RadiRad? Or even better, a bluetooth transmitter that can tune in on a certain AM frequency to pick up an iPhone? The chipset is cheap now I'd imagine.

2) Is the only way to get FM radio that's reliable and sounds decent is to somehow find a vintage Chrysler AM/FM radio that's can be directly installed? I assume...very expensive and very hard to find?

3) Is the factory dash mono speaker limited by the receiver, or is it limited by itself for volume?

4) Wards looks awesome. But for $500, that seems...a lot!

Looking for the best option that's "period correct" that will get me FM and Bluetooth. It seems like spending $500 to get there feels extreme. Maybe those are my only options?!

kawahonda

Is there a way to boost the AM signal to where I can pick up some easily available music with stock radio? My 2003 Jeep picks up quite a lot more on AM compared to the challenger!

Bullitt-

Quote from: kawahonda on August 28, 2018, 07:53:24 PM
Is there a way to boost the AM signal to where I can pick up some easily available music with stock radio? My 2003 Jeep picks up quite a lot more on AM compared to the challenger!

There may be an adjustment or two inside the radio that could help.. I've never messed with a stock AM but did tune-up an aftermarket AM/FM back in the day with some success
Look at the section How Analog Radio Works... they point out #7 "Transformer: A series of smaller transformers help the radio hone in on just the station you want by blocking out other, nearby stations."

https://www.explainthatstuff.com/radio.html
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

b5cuda

This may be another option: https://www.classiccarstereos.com/plymouth-barracuda-radios.html
I've not tried it but been thinking about it.

kawahonda

It picks up Spanish music and republican talk radio just fine.

Music? Not a chance...barely...just a hint of it...but no cigar. And no, I'm not going to extend my radio antennae 9 foot to get it, either! Hahahahaha!

Regarding your link above, does anyone have the 2watt manual that that would go over the details of how to "adjust" the transistors?

"California Dreamin" was playing on AM today...and it was barely audible....interfering with other talk radio channels. Ugh.

Maybe it's one of those things I just need to set the radio outside of the mounting location and turn it on and just tune it with a screwdriver and hope for the best?

76orangewagon

I sent my (R11 coded) 2 Watt AM radio to Wards over the winter...he rebuilt it, polished everything and added a Aux port for less than $230.

61K T/A

Quote from: kawahonda on August 28, 2018, 07:53:24 PM

Yes, a linear amplifier.

kawahonda

Can the original mono speaker still be used with a new stereo (think of a y-splitter). Or would this blow the speaker?

Front: mono
Rear: stereo

I like the reproductoin radio with Bluetooth and all, but the 1970 only used the thumbsheel type AM/FM radio, so for $550 it won't look right...may consider just getting a simple pioneer MP3/FM/BT Head unit for $80.

Bullitt-

Quote from: kawahonda on September 05, 2018, 09:24:00 AM
Can the original mono speaker still be used with a new stereo (think of a y-splitter). Or would this blow the speaker?

Front: mono
Rear: stereo

You can wire a single speaker to a stereo by using the + from one channel & - from the other ...  Stock speaker will not be up to handling the power from modern head units. 
There are 4x10" speakers that will or you could, as I have, fab a plate to mount 2-small speakers. I used tweeters as the small speakers won't have much grunt anyway.

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

kawahonda

Great. That's just the info I needed. So don't even attempt to use the stock "AM" speaker...it'll need changing out or else it would blow?

I've heard there's a replacement speaker that has two cones...so it's essentially a stereo speaker. Not sure how easy it is to install. If I have to cut or do anything obtrusive then I'd rather leave it alone.

As much as I like the stock looks of my AM radio and when I'm parked I can turn it on and listen to a sports game or talk-radio (if I'm not near a power line or a weird electrical zone), then it's kinda not utilized much and it leaves a little to be desired. The AM reception of these old electronics as I've mentioned are not that great and seem to only pick up half of what a modern AM radio could pick up. So at AM radio reception, it's marginal at best.

Nothing would beat driving the Challenger listening to some AC/DC, Boston, or some Van Halen. Or just listening to what's playing over FM is really fun too. Kinda miss that.

Keeping with a "stock" look is either going to be very expensive or very lacking.

Regardless of whichever option, it sounds like the AM mono speaker needs replacement.

Option 1: Buy the $550 aftermarket OE-looking stereo. It's not OE for a 1970 Challenger....AFAIK 1970 AM/FM Radio is of the thumbwheel design. Semi-stock look.

Option 2: Find/Buy the Factory AM/FM radio. Good luck finding one. And good luck not taking out a downpayment! Use one of those cigarette lighter thingies to enable bluetooth/USB charging. 100% stock look.

Option 3: Get current radio fitted with modern tech. $500, no matter who you go through or how you slice it.

Option 4: Get a $80 single DIN compact head unit that has everything already.

I'm going to continue to mull on this. Maybe my desire for listening to music while driving would die out. Probably not though. :)

Bullitt-

I've put in several aftermarket head units in down through the years always taking care not to alter the vehicle so that if at some point I want to go back it will be easy to do.

Many folks just cram the cage in through the front like you would on a newer vehicle but I have gone to the trouble of building a bracket to mount from the back so trim interference is eliminated, you just can't use a model that requires the front to open for operation... I've gone totally digital so I no longer need a CD player which simplifies everything.