Main Menu

fuel gauge stopped working Help! how to test ? 73 challenger

Started by petenz, June 14, 2017, 03:33:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

petenz

also if problem in sender unit, how to remove from tank ? I see that it can be removed without removal of fuel tank, what direction does the lock ring go to remove & anything else I will need to do.
Many thanks 

Cuda Cody

If you want to test the gauge first, we have a video on how to do that.

https://www.e-bodies.org/videos/

When I have time tonight, I'll explain the fuel tank (if someone else doesn't beat me to it.)    :bigthumb:

Cuda Cody

@petenz   has anything changed recently or been replaced?  Or was it working for awhile and then just stopped?

petenz

nothing been replaced, it just stopped working. the fuel system is stock & original
1 owner car
many thanks

RUNCHARGER

There is a ground strap that clips on the fuel line and the sending unit on the tank end. It circumvents the rubber hose. Make sure that is there. Pull the sending unit wire off and ground it with a wire into it and an alligator clip on the other end of a short piece of wire to ground it. Jump in the car and put the key on for a few seconds and if the gas gauge moves, it and all the wiring are good and you need a new sending unit. If not, it will take more detective work but at least you will know where to look.
To remove the sending unit make sure you have 1/4 tank of fuel or less, it will come out in the car no problem. The lock ring turns out counter clockwise. I use a large, dull flat screwdriver and a small hammer to turn the lockring.
Sheldon

Burdar

The sending units are super simple. That being said, for some reason, the aftermarket can't seem to get them right. They never read correctly. If I were you, I'd soak your original piece in EvapoRust to clean it up. It might work after that. If not, pop the side cover off and have a look at the internals. There is a little "needle" inside that makes contact with the piece that changes the voltage. The "needle" might be worn. You should be able to adjust it so it makes contact again.

Try that before ordering a new unit. Like said above, it might just be a missing ground strap.

Brads70

:iagree:   Check for a good ground first! Strap could have fell off/rusted off... rust could be preventing a good ground.

petenz

Thank you very much for the information, it will be very helpful
Pete

petenz

Hi all
just  like to say what a fantastic site & group the people who share  information to help others. also all those e-body members who share photo's  video's & pictures off there pride & joy  Thanks
Keep up the great work
Petenz

Chryco Psycho

I would test for a pulsing voltage at the blue wire at the sending unit if you have power there the whole circuit is working except the sender , if not trace back to the output at the guage behind the dash

73TopBanana

Do not see the video, only some other ones
Is it up now?
Thanks

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]