Main Menu

Fuel sending unit

Started by WCC, February 26, 2020, 10:56:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

WCC

Anybody know of any original fuel sending units for sale for a '71 Cuda? I need 3/8" piping. I will look at an aftermarket one as well but all the ones I've heard of were not recommended.

Chryco Psycho

Roseville might have a line on ones that work correctly , , I nthe past I have modified 5/16 ones that work properly installing 3/8 line

WCC

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 26, 2020, 11:51:54 AM
Roseville might have a line on ones that work correctly , , I nthe past I have modified 5/16 ones that work properly installing 3/8 line

Cool thx, will try them.

Joegrapes

I just went thru this. I have 3 cheap aftermarket sending units sitting in a box because they never work and I always had to guess how much gas I had in the tank. I have a modified 440 in the low to mid 500 hp range and thought I needed a 3/8 fuel sending unit. I don't race the car but I was still concerned about using a 5/16 unit. I took the plunge and bought an OEM 5/16 unit. It works great and the car runs just as good as before only now my gas gauge works. So if you can't find a 3/8 OEM unit the 5/16 OEM will work just fine.

WCC

Quote from: Joegrapes on February 27, 2020, 05:19:33 AM
I just went thru this. I have 3 cheap aftermarket sending units sitting in a box because they never work and I always had to guess how much gas I had in the tank. I have a modified 440 in the low to mid 500 hp range and thought I needed a 3/8 fuel sending unit. I don't race the car but I was still concerned about using a 5/16 unit. I took the plunge and bought an OEM 5/16 unit. It works great and the car runs just as good as before only now my gas gauge works. So if you can't find a 3/8 OEM unit the 5/16 OEM will work just fine.

Great info thanks. May I ask where you got the 5/16 OEM from? I'm assuming there's no 2nd tube for the vapor separator return?

Joegrapes

I got it from a place called Hiltop Auto Parts .https://www.hiltopautoparts.com
No it doesn't have the second tube but I didn't need it. It was a little pricy but now that my gauge works it was money well spent.

WCC

Quote from: Joegrapes on February 27, 2020, 07:59:26 AM
I got it from a place called Hiltop Auto Parts .https://www.hiltopautoparts.com
No it doesn't have the second tube but I didn't need it. It was a little pricy but now that my gauge works it was money well spent.

Thanks will check it out.

Scooter

On the subject of sending units. Mine seems to work oddly. When I fill up the dash gauge reads full properly, but the first 1/2 tank goes extremely fast with normal driving. The drop slows after 1/2 tank. Have not let the car get under 1/4 tank since I purchased it late last year for fear of running out of fuel. Anyone else run across this?

WCC

Mine starting acting erratic and finally just showed an empty tank - turned out it was a cracked float.

JS29

It's a shame they don't make a replacement float, That is not the first one i have seen.  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Ford floats work too or that one can be soldered.
Sheldon

WCC

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on March 01, 2020, 11:14:17 AM
Ford floats work too or that one can be soldered.

Was thinking of soldering but don't want to create a sinker either.  :notsure: Will just see if I can get a replacement float at my local hardware store. Unit otherwise works fine.

Cudascott

There's only a couple sizes of those brass float made fairly easy to obtain last time I needed one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Ford-Gas-Fuel-Tank-Sending-Unit-Brass-Float-NEW-Mercury-Lincoln-Chrysler-/401981792367

JS29

Squire Edgar

Bringing back an old thread. My fuel gauge has not worked since I've owned the car and I went to the sending unit on tank and everything looked in place, grounded it out and fuel gauge read full, cleaned up wiring and now I'm showing an 1/8 of a tank on fuel gauge. I should have about 3/4 tank of fuel. Would this be indicative of a float with a hole in it?