Main Menu

Fuse Panel Nut and Bolt Question

Started by Daveh, October 24, 2018, 08:27:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey guys,

In the picture I've circled the barrel nuts that attach the fuse panel.  I'd like to use actual nuts, washers and bolts and gaskets so there is no leakage through the holes and it's stronger.

My question is does those nuts and bolts ground in any capacity or can I just do what I want.  Thanks

Dave

1 Wild R/T

Burdar

No grounding.  I think the nuts originally had sealer in/on them.  If not you could add it. Strip caulk works.  The bulkhead connector has a gasket.

Daveh

Claudia

:alan2cents: As mentioned above . . . bulkhead connector should have a gasket between it and the firewall.  No grounding.  I also used bolts with washers and nuts when installing and no issues thus far.

Daveh

Awesome I'm going to use 1/4" stainless bolts that should do the trick. 

Chryco Psycho

the stock nuts are usually filled with Dum Dum , rubbery filler to prevent water leaks & the fuse block has a gasket

Daveh

I'm thinking about using a longer bolt and adding an engine ground strap to it.  Would that be a good idea instead of scraping the new paint on the firewall to add a ground?  Just a thought. 

Chryco Psycho

no real good reason to ground at the fuse block bolts , there should be 2 wires grounding at the battery , 1 large one to the block & 1 to the rad wall near the headligjhts

Daveh

Ok good to know.  I know it's been said you can never have to many grounds so I was going to add another from there the block.  But I guess that's over kill.  Thanks