Main Menu

Getting LED bulbs to fit in side marker light housings

Started by Dakota, March 27, 2020, 06:29:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

I had previously replaced the sockets in my front side marker lights (the originals were badly rusted).  I thought this would be a good place to try some amber LED bulbs to brighten things up a bit. Unfortunately, the diameter of the bulb base was a little too small so the bulb could move around with vibration, causing it to flicker.     My high tech solution was to wrap a 1/4" wide by 4" strip of blue painter's tape around the base, making sure to stay above the pins on the bulb.  They fit nice and snug now. 

The bulbs were from SuperbrightLEDs.com

Mr Lee

Pretty cool. Any chance we could get a photo at night?
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Dakota

I'll put them on the car tomorrow.  "Night" will be in the garage with the lights off.   It's the best I can do at this point.

bc3j

I used the same bulbs as you and had the same issue too. Never thought of painters tape. I put a small piece of solder on the bulb tip. Tightened it right up.

JS29

Solder was a good idea.   :idea:   I wonder about metal tape, to assure a good ground.   :alan2cents:

Shoooter

GoodysGotaCuda

What I have done is used a blank bulb sockets [ebay] and soldered on a strip LED. You'll get much improved light distribution.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Dakota

Quote from: Shoooter on March 28, 2020, 07:51:08 AM
How much brighter than the originals are they

I never had the original lights bulbs on before the car was taken apart, so I can't really give you anything specific.  Maybe someone else with "before" and "after" experience can comment. 

Dakota

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on March 28, 2020, 08:08:10 AM
What I have done is used a blank bulb sockets [ebay] and soldered on a strip LED. You'll get much improved light distribution.

That's really slick - an even better upgrade than the LED bulb.  On mine, the lens is really well lit by the bulb but then the intensity drops quickly. 

Katfish

Now that's a great idea!
Like the OP I replaced the side markers with LEDs.
As you can see in his pics, the light is focused and not diffused throughout the length of the lenses.
Putting a yellow LED strip would be much better.

Now, where do we find different colored strips.

Dakota

Quote from: Mr Lee on March 27, 2020, 06:48:20 PM

This was with an overhead garage light on.  Without the overhead light, all my camera recorded was a fuzzy orange ball in pitch black. 

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Katfish on March 28, 2020, 05:06:51 PM

Now that's a great idea!
Like the OP I replaced the side markers with LEDs.
As you can see in his pics, the light is focused and not diffused throughout the length of the lenses.
Putting a yellow LED strip would be much better.

Now, where do we find different colored strips.

Try eBay for the lights and sockets. I did the same thing for my dome light. It's a 3x3 led panel sitting within the dome light cap and a blank socket i soldered in. Works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Mr Lee

Quote from: Dakota on March 28, 2020, 05:28:17 PM
Quote from: Mr Lee on March 27, 2020, 06:48:20 PM

This was with an overhead garage light on.  Without the overhead light, all my camera recorded was a fuzzy orange ball in pitch black.
Wow. That looks way brighter than stock. Thanks for posting.  I may have to try that.  Looks great and will make you much more visible at night. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.