Main Menu

Electronic Ignition Upgrade

Started by 340Challman, February 16, 2023, 01:20:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

340Challman

Hey All, During the resto on my 70 Challenger, I'm switching to electronic ignition. I'm using the correct harness for the switch so I'm needing the correct control module mounting location. Can anyone give me pictures and measurements to the proper location for mounting on the firewall? Factory original would be my preference as I want to duplicate that as close as possible. Thanks.

Kevin

anlauto

Late 71's to 74's actually used a mounting bracket as well  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

It would go right next to the voltage regulator if you were to add one.

anlauto

Yes, if using the correct bracket, you can judge the position based off this picture in comparison to the voltage regulator as mentioned...the later cars had dimples in the cowl, but your 70 won't. Now looking closer at this picture, I think the bracket is upside-down :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Blowout

:popcorn:

@340Challman I plan to do the same upgrade to my 70 Challenger.  Can you share what you bought so far to make the switch like harness, distributor, module etc.  Anything info would be helpful.  Thanks.

1970A-66Challenger

Depending on the level of originality desired since '70s didn't have the ECU, you could install it under the dash and extend the wiring. That's what I did and ran the wires through a hole in the grommet for the windshield washer hoses. Just need to make sure the ECU case is grounded.

340Challman

Quote from: anlauto on February 16, 2023, 01:35:37 PM

Who sells the bracket? I didn't see it on Roseville's site.
Kevin

340Challman

Quote from: Blowout on February 16, 2023, 02:35:32 PM
:popcorn:

@340Challman I plan to do the same upgrade to my 70 Challenger.  Can you share what you bought so far to make the switch like harness, distributor, module etc.  Anything info would be helpful.  Thanks.

I just ordered this harness from Y1. The rest of the stuff is standard factory components.

https://www.yearone.com/Product/challenger-cuda/hu102em
Kevin

R/T's 4 R/P

For a 70, I always hide the module.
All you need to do is lengthen the wires for the harness.
Places to place it, under the dash, under the battery tray, behind the right headlight...
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

340Challman

Quote from: 340Challman on February 16, 2023, 02:49:20 PM
Quote from: anlauto on February 16, 2023, 01:35:37 PM

Who sells the bracket? I didn't see it on Roseville's site.

Never mind. Found the bracket. :haha:
Kevin

headejm

Quote from: R/T's 4 R/P on February 16, 2023, 02:58:17 PM
Places to place it, under the dash, under the battery tray, behind the right headlight...

:iagree: Shouldn't use a firewall bracket on a 1970. I installed mine under the battery tray.

anlauto

Quote from: R/T's 4 R/P on February 16, 2023, 02:58:17 PM

Yup, I always do the same thing, behind the dash for me. HOWEVER, I think if you want it in "a" factory location, then using the correct bracket is the nicest way to go, I hate seeing them just stuck on the firewall somewhere :alan2cents:

340Challman

Thanks guys. I know '70 never had electronic ignition, but I want to make it look as if it had been done from the factory. Plus the wiring harness is designed to find it there also. If I were doing a concours style resto I'd keep the original point distributor. So making it look like a '72 is alright with me.  :cheers:
Kevin