Main Menu

ground wiring

Started by GoMangoBoys, September 10, 2022, 12:38:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I am finishing up the wiring on the car.  I see from looking at other cars at Carlisle that the negative battery cable bolts to the engine by one of the intake manifold bolts.  Is there also a ground strap from the engine to the body somewhere?  It seems without that the primary ground connection between the engine and the car is by way of the transmission crossmember???
Thanks

MoparLeo

Passenger side transmission bellhousing to firewall is the most common.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Scooter

I've also seen a lot of ground straps going from the battery to the front of the driver side head. And at the back of the passenger side head to the chassis.

larry4406

Wasn't there a braided ground strap from rear of engine to firewall?  I might be confusing this with my '87 Dodge D150.

MoparLeo

Yes, commonly  braided strap. Nothing wrong with adding as many ground straps as you want. Grounds are the biggest problem with these electrical systems.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/ground-straps
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Dakota

The negative battery cable for my 70 340 has two leads coming off of it.  The larger one goes to the driver side head; the smaller lead goes to the engine side of the core support (also driver side) near the upper corner of the radiator. 

As noted above, there's nothing bad about adding extra grounds other than having extra wire visible in some places.  I have separate dedicated grounds for the dash area, taillights, fuel pump and MSD box.

tparker

My battery had a ground to the engine and to the radiator support near the battery. I don't recall one from engine to firewall, but maybe

Chryco Psycho

I agree the correct factory was  a battery ground with 2 leads one the engine & 1 to the radiator support where the headlights also ground 

dodj

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 11, 2022, 07:30:04 PM
I agree the correct factory was  a battery ground with 2 leads one the engine & 1 to the radiator support where the headlights also ground 
This is the factory wiring as it was on my car.

But for reliability, I added a 1/0 equivalent braided strap from ps cyl head to firewall and increased the battery to body wire size to 1/0 as well. Don't really need to go that big, but I had 1/0 motor lead cable in the garage, so, I used it.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Ns1aar

To many grounds can cause ground loops. They can cause mutable problems all at the same time

YellowThumper

Quote from: Ns1aar on September 12, 2022, 10:18:14 AM
To many grounds can cause ground loops. They can cause mutable problems all at the same time
With modern electronics yes.
Not an issue with the 50yo minimal setups these have.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.