Main Menu

electric window switch compatibility

Started by cuda hunter, December 12, 2017, 08:41:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

are the electric window switch's that go into the door panels the same across 1968-1974?

part number 2926118

Is this set up worth 300 bucks? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

1 Wild R/T

68 is different & I'm not sure when the switch changed to convex 73? 74? The 69-72 switch will work on a 74-77 whatever the break off is but they are a little different... If they are all good I'd say $300 is fair.... I've seen guys pay allot more, I've always scrounged them for cheap so for me it's all a matter digging through wrecking yards....
first switch is 68 & earlier  Second switch is a late design

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fc7cuda

Depends on the switch function of the 4 gang one, particularly the far left for drivers side.  This one got the most wear, and could be loose.  proceed with caution.   :alan2cents:

cuda hunter

It's a bit of a gamble.  decent price and not flaking switch's.  But I don't know if they will fit.
Getting it through someone in another state so I can't check them in person before I buy.  Typical for living up in the mountains.

thanks guys.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

71GranCoupe

One thing to look for is that the rocker switch "centers" each time it cycles. Do it several times to insure good returns. If they do return, odds are they should be ok. If at any time one hangs and only does a partial return, you have a problem switch. It can be repaired, but is tedious and usually parts from a donor may be needed.  :cheers:

cuda hunter

The guy noticed this and sent me a picture.  Two rivets that are removed from the 4 way.

How much does this remove of the value?  How difficult to have repaired or fix myself?

1 Wild R/T

I think you need to talk to Jim.... @Slotts

cuda hunter

Ok, so I should be buying them from Slotts then huh? 

1 Wild R/T

I don't know if Jim has any or not, but he's the man to fix them... The picture is just a few of my spares from back when they were easier to find...  I have probably three times that many, they are the same as C bodies so back when C bodies were stacked three deep in the yards I'd pick them up... Now they are much harder to find but I still too them occasionally....

Slotts

Thanks for the heads up and recommendation, Randy. I don't offer power window switches for sale. I only restore them.

Let me start with how nice the chrome finish is. We all know how that can cost a bloody fortune to have anything triple chrome plated lately. That usually is a deal breaker to undertake.

Some of the issues that you can come across buying power window switches without them being in your hand to inspect. The only way I would recommend buying any of these power window switches, without being able to have them in hand, would be if the seller would offer a money back guarantee.

Using the following pictures, I will try to show some of the pitfalls that can occur with these.

1. A broken knob retainer clip. The sloppy return or no return to the center position is typically caused by the barb on one side or both being broken off. The broken off barb usually falls out, is gone and requires a donor switch for repair.

2. The return springs have been corroded, loose their tensile strength and bow. That will give a sloppy feel, too. However they may return the knob to center.

3. The potmetal rollover that holds the retainer clip that locks into the back box can be corroded and the head breaks right off.

4. The missing rivets are a big issue. These oval head rivets hold the ground contacts in place. The pins are actually rivets in disguise holding the moveable contact arms in place. With the ground rivets missing, similar to the broken off knob retainer clips and slide out the front of the switch and be missing. That is a gamble and back to the donor switch for the missing ground contact, then making a custom oval head or pin rivet. To help the eBay "rebuilders", those type of rivets can be found in the vintage Mopar parts isle 8 at Home Depot.

Lastly, the two position power window switches previously show with those type of knobs were from later than 74 cars. They were used, for example, in the Cordoba's with soft Corinthian leather!

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

cuda hunter

Very informative,  Thanks Jim.

The seller backed out since it has the two missing rivets.  Said he would fix it and relist them.

I'll keep looking and keep those words of wisdom in mind.