Main Menu

Help Identify Wire Harness

Started by Barracudamuscle, March 10, 2020, 12:27:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Barracudamuscle

Hello,

Working on my 73 Cuda and removed the dash to replace the rats nest of wiring with a new harness. I noticed on my steering column wiring there's a badly burned pin, bypassed with a red wire with connector.

What harness is this called to replace on the steering column?

Rich G.

That's the ignition switch. I would just bypass the one wire from the connector because the other end is the dash harness. Lots or resistance in that wire connection so I would just connect that wire together with the other wire. The one I'm working on is burnt the same way.

JS29

Mine was burnt as well, Ignition switch and under hood harness. at the bulkhead.    :alan2cents:

Barracudamuscle

Wow! Thanks for the fast and informative replies! So essentially just cut the red wire and splice it outside the connector like it was and that will work and prevent the burning issues?

anlauto

I would replace the wiring if it's in the budget. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Barracudamuscle

I've replaced the engine side harness, I've got a brand new dash side harness however this burnt connector is on the side of the steering wheel that's not included in the kit.

I'm all for doing it right while I have it torn open, is there a replacement harness I can get for the column side or are you recommending something else?

Thanks!

JS29

Replacement would be the best solution.  :alan2cents:

Rich G.

Why replace all the wires when only one is bad? That one wire in that connection is the weak link. The loose connection is what burnt it up.

ratroaster

That harness would come with a new Ignition switch.... :alan2cents:

Rich G.

He'd still have a burnt wire on the other harness to deal with. Don't know if he'd be able to repair that wire to get a good enough connection to prevent it from burning up again. I just suggested a simple and effective way to repair it and move on. Of course replacing everything would always work if you wanted to spend the time and money. One less connection is one less problem.

ratroaster

All true but I believe he said he already has a new dash harness to put in.

Barracudamuscle

Correct, new harness on the engine, new harness for the dash but I didn't know that was apart of the ignition switch assembly.

I'm going to order a new ignition switch, what's the mindset with this high current ignition wire....use dielectric grease with new harness and ign switch, or bypass this connector altogether on the new harness/switch ass to prevent this from reoccurring?

Rich G.

If both connectors are new you should be good with some dielectric grease. Make sure the terminals don't walk out when you plug them in.

anlauto

Quote from: Rich G. on March 10, 2020, 03:29:31 PM
Why replace all the wires when only one is bad? That one wire in that connection is the weak link. The loose connection is what burnt it up.

Because the rest of the wires are also 50 years old  :alan2cents:

You already have a new dash harness, so a new ignition switch is a no brainer $50 Rockauto
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

You have every thing new other than an ignition,  :iagree: why not fix it the correct way.  :alan2cents: Just the piece of mind is worth the few dollars that it will cost.