Main Menu

Here's an easy way to check your E-Body Gauges

Started by Cuda Cody, January 05, 2017, 10:29:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Do you have a project and you're not sure if the gauges are working, but don't have the money to spend to have them professionally restored?  Here's a video I made that shows you a pretty easy way to double check to see if your gauges are working. 

https://youtu.be/-pKbNSStjas

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

Brads70

Great video/information. Sending units have been an " issue" quality wise , so it's great to test them BEFORE they get installed in the car. Adjustments are much easier this way!

SteveG

If someone did not have a fuel sending unit handy I wonder how well an interior dimmer switch would work. :dunno:

Cuda Cody

That's a neat idea.   :idea:  Just use your multi-meter to test the resistance (ohms) and has long as you can get close to those 10, 23 and 72 numbers you should be golden. 

Quote from: SteveG on January 08, 2017, 07:36:10 PM
If someone did not have a fuel sending unit handy I wonder how well an interior dimmer switch would work. :dunno:

headejm

Cody, in the video you check to see how the needle moves at the 3 different ohms but what actions can we take if like the needle reads wrong for a given ohm reading. Should you talk about, for example, how to recalibrate a fuel sending unit?  :notsure:

Cuda Cody

Good question.  I've been lucky and my gauges have all worked good.  But I'm sure there is a way to adjust them?  :notsure:  Let me think about it for a bit.   :thinking:

cataclysm80

Quote from: SteveG on January 08, 2017, 07:36:10 PM

In the past, I've used an old HO scale model train power unit for testing 1950's truck gauges.
It plugs into any wall socket, has 2 wires to connect to the gauge, and the train speed control dial moves the gauge needle.
I didn't know much about cars back then, so this may or may not be a good idea, but it seemed to work fine.

These days, I've been testing gauges with the wire harness and sending unit I intend to use on the car, and a 12 volt battery.
This way it also tests the sending unit and takes into account any voltage drop / resistance from wire length, so that I know I won't have problems after final install.

cataclysm80

This is a nice video.
I feel like it should have some explanation at the beginning about the voltage limiter on the back of the gauge cluster, and why we're using AA batteries instead of a 12 volt car battery, along with some warning against hooking 12 volts directly to the gauges.

The original voltage limiters are reliable, but when they fail, they send 12 volts to the gauges which fries them.
The reproduction voltage limiters have the same problem AND are LESS reliable!
AutoInstruments.com sells a solid state voltage limiter which will shut off if it fails, saving your expensive gauges.  I consider this to be a good upgrade / investment.  (the same part might be available cheaper elsewhere if you shop around though?)

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Had a voltage limiter fail on me last year.  Started the car and noticed all the gauges start to peg.  Shut off before any damage was done.  But if I hadn't watching the gauges closely it could have been bad.

HP_Cuda

Three triple or AA bats will do the trick but it's also nice to know if the limiter crapped out like mine did.

A small puff of white smoke and she was done. But not to fret, you can fix the limiter as well!!
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Timbbuc2

@Cuda Cody , the three batteries sound good, but I have a power supply for a computer that has one lead 5V DC, That should work as well should'nt it.  Because I am the worst keeping fresh batteries  :rofl:
Get in, I'll drive

Cuda Cody

Oh yes, the closer you can get to 5 volts the better.  I ended up having to use 4 older batteries to get to 5 volts.  But if you have a power supply that can give you 5 volts you should be right on the money.   :bradsthumb:

Quote from: Timbbuc2 on January 30, 2017, 07:48:55 AM
@Cuda Cody , the three batteries sound good, but I have a power supply for a computer that has one lead 5V DC, That should work as well should'nt it.  Because I am the worst keeping fresh batteries  :rofl:

chal340

Great video, I'm going to test my new fuel sending unit with my gauge.
70 Dodge Challenger 340 A66.