Main Menu

Here's an easy way to check your E-Body Gauges

Started by Cuda Cody, January 05, 2017, 10:29:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Finoke

71cuda#match

Cuda Cody,

I liked this video, thanks. My fuel, oil, and temp gauges stopped working.  I replaced the limiter once, twice, and three times and they all fried in a matter of seconds.  I had even used the solid state one and it shut down.   What would be causing my limiters to blow?    The gauges worked when I first installed them.

Thanks

automate33

@Cuda Cody

thanks for your great video! :thankyou:

Do you know the measurement in ohms of:

low oil pressure / middle pressure / high pressure?
low temp water / middle temp / high temp?

Many thanks Cody

Cuda Cody

I thought I saw those numbers in the manual?   :thinking:  If they are not there the only person that I think would know those numbers would be @Slotts

Quote from: automate33 on September 19, 2017, 10:49:40 PM
@Cuda Cody

thanks for your great video! :thankyou:

Do you know the measurement in ohms of:

low oil pressure / middle pressure / high pressure?
low temp water / middle temp / high temp?

Many thanks Cody

Cuda Cody

Can't seem to find those numbers in the manuals.   :sorry:  Next time I do a dash restoration I will test a bunch of stock ones and see if I can get a baseline.

Slotts

Thanks Cody, I've been tagged? :huh: That's funny, I don't feel tagged!  :D

Here are the impedance values...

HIGH: 10 Ohms

MIDDLE: 23 Ohms

Low: 74 Ohms

One thing I did get caught with helping a friend was the temperature sending unit. The issue was the sending unit was just replaced with a "new" one and was about 75% there on pegging the temperature gauge. Turns out the new ones read at 0 Ohms for HIGH. By using a 1/2 watt 10 ohm resistor in line buried in the engine forward harness made that problem go away.

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

Mopar5

I know this is an old topic . But does any one know the resistance range of the coolant and oil sending unit ? My gauges sweep fully at 5 volts but I would like to know if anyone has the resistance values for  low/mid/high on the oil and coolant guages. Thanks in advance

Mopar5

Pretty cool to see this 50 year old clock start to run great after a spray down with contact cleaner it didn't budge before . I've had good luck on other stuff with this cleaner but I can't believe it's that simple.

Mrbill426

@Cuda Cody wow.. got a few clusters there; nice  :twothumbsup:
I am about to tackle mine that has some issues with clipped wires and such; somebody did some bypassing with the main black and red wires.  Fun fun fun.
:wrenching:

Quote from: Cuda Cody on September 20, 2017, 08:09:19 AM
Can't seem to find those numbers in the manuals.   :sorry:  Next time I do a dash restoration I will test a bunch of stock ones and see if I can get a baseline.

Mopar5

Coolant would be easier put sensor in hot Water and measure temp vs resistance between ambient and boiling I guess I'm going to have to dig out a new coolant temp sensor

cudamadd

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Mopar5 on August 09, 2020, 05:06:23 PM
I know this is an old topic . But does any one know the resistance range of the coolant and oil sending unit ? My gauges sweep fully at 5 volts but I would like to know if anyone has the resistance values for  low/mid/high on the oil and coolant guages. Thanks in advance

They are in the post right above yours.