Main Menu

Hi Beams Flickering to eventually off, but headlights stay on, no problem

Started by 74SilverSlugs, September 17, 2020, 07:01:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

74SilverSlugs

'74 Challenger. 318.

So for the first time in a long time I'm driving home with the brights on, and about 5m down the road they start to flicker and then turn off. So I pressed the foot switch again and the headlights come on no problem, no flickering, no dimming. I get home and turn the motor off in the garage but turn the brights back on. Sure enough they start flickering and when I'd jiggle the flip switch(admittedly it's rather loose, but tight enough to stay in it's selected position on its own.) I'm sure it's probably a ground issue, but it's late and I didn't look into it any more than just to confirm that it happens without the motor being on, and that it happens shortly after the brights are on for a bit. I could get them to flicker with the rhythm I jiggled the switch with, it wouldn't change when I tap the foot switch, but once they went completely dark, jiggling the switch did little to bring them back on. The flickering is kind of slow, almost like the hazards but random intervals.

If anyone has a jpeg of where I should start looking at wires, and then I'll have to figure out where in my spiders nest of second owner wiring I'll need to narrow it down to.

Thanks in advance!

Cuda Cody

What switch are you jiggling to make them flicker? The foot high low switch?

Chryco Psycho

It could be a problem with the headlight switch as you have the load of 4 lights through the switch .
I would look at installing relays for the lights , this takes all of the load off the headlight switch , also I would contact Jim @ JS Restorations , he can rebuild you headlight switch .

dodj

Tighten the mounting of the switch. Then see if you can get it to flicker.

Edit. I was thinking dash switch, but if floor switch I agree with burdar.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Burdar

If you are moving the floor switch and the lights are flickering, I'd replace the switch.  They are inexpensive and you can buy them from your local parts store.  Pull back the carpet and make sure the plug isn't melted.  If it is, you can buy a new plug on E-bay.  They are inexpensive as well. 

In order to test the system, first look up a wiring diagram for your 74.  Probe the high beam wire coming out of the foot switch.  Turn the high beams on and watch the test light when the lights start to flicker.

Burdar

Here are the wiring diagrams for your 74.

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1974/74ChallengerA.JPG

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1974/74ChallengerB.JPG

If I'm reading it correctly, a light green wire comes out of the headlight switch and goes to the dimmer.  Then there is a violet wire and red wire that come out of the dimmer and go to the lights.  The violet wire looks like it runs directly to the outer low beams.  The red wire powers the high beams.

70rag383

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 17, 2020, 11:14:48 PM
It could be a problem with the headlight switch as you have the load of 4 lights through the switch .
I would look at installing relays for the lights , this takes all of the load off the headlight switch , also I would contact Jim @ JS Restorations , he can rebuild you headlight switch .

I just installed a headlight relay kit from one our members YellowThumper. As Chryco says it takes the load off the switch and the bulkhead connector.  The headlight dimming I was experiencing has been fixed with this upgrade. Really easy to install, no cutting or splicing into the existing wiring.

crackedback

Whichever item is causing the issue, switch or dimmer, a relay kit would remove the load and allow both switches to run much cooler.

I've sold plenty of relay kits over the years to fix these types of situations.  Light output is much better with a relay kit.  https://forum.e-bodies.org/parts-misc-for-sale/9/plug-and-play-headlight-relay-kits/4412/

Cratos