Main Menu

Horn issues... Bad relay or something else?

Started by 340Rallye, February 19, 2020, 04:49:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

340Rallye

wondering if someone might be able to help me figure this out.

I remember sometime in the late 80's the horn randomly came on and wouldn't shut off. It was disconnected at the horn itself and sadly the issue was never resolved to this day. Not the safest to go without a horn. but, it's rarely driven and wasn't my call.

curiosity struck and I decided to hook the wires back up to the horn and see what happens. I put the key in the ignition and right away the horn goes off and wont' stop. I took the key out. popped the cap off the steering wheel made sure everything is hooked up there. no kinks I could see (I might have to take the wheel off etc and look closer) tried the key again. same thing. pulled the key out. waited and tried again. no horn this time. only when you open the door the horn goes off. the entire time these happened I didn't hear the buzzer. kinda leads me to believe the relay is bad. could it also be just a short???

Rich G.

I'd say a short because you don't need the key to blow the horn. I'd pull the wheel and hub first and look in there.

Bullitt-

I've never heard of this before. My first thought is there is one thing in common with the 3-things mentioned, they all involve a ground so I'm thinking somehow ground wires are either switched or shorted together sending a ground to the horn relay.   :alan2cents:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

chargerdon

Instead of digging into the steering wheel.   

First thing i would do is to pull the relay (its on the fuse panel at top).   Then i would check the post that gives the relay ground...  if it has ground then there is a short...   If not, then the relay is probably bad, they have been known to break with continuity on.   

If grounded, then you need to check that the wire that runs thru the steering column isn't shorted...then up to the steering wheel.   

just my 2 cents worth  :thinking:

340Rallye

thank you for the replies. hopefully I'll get a chance to mess with it this weekend. I forgot to mention before I opened the door only to find out that the horn went off. I could press the horn to activate it. don't know to much about this kinda stuff. after searching I can only find one other mention of this occurrence.
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=104444.msg1028467#msg1028467

340Rallye

I forgot to ask. is it true 70,71-73,74 had different horn relays/locations?

are there any other buzzer relays in a 73? what else activates the buzzer? I know key in obviously and door ajar
is seatbelts one?

Chryco Psycho

I agree with Don
the horn relay always has power & is switched ground when the button is pressed , inserting the key activates the key buzzer which is inside the horn relay also , so my bet is the relay / buzzer is bad

Bullitt-

There is a seat belt warning light & I think a buzzer located on the extreme right of my ralley dash on the woodgrain part that curves out, about a 1" diameter circle. I don't believe it has anything to do with the horn relay/key-in buzzer located on the fuse block.
The relay/buzzer changed from a 3-prong on earlier models to a 4-prong by '73 from what I've come to understand.  I think they all plug into the fuse block.  Key-in when door open is all my 73's buzzer indicates.   
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

340Rallye

got a new relay from Jon at roseville. plugged it in and... cat drowning under water sound. haven't heard this noise in almost 30 years. thought it would be louder. probably thankful later that it's not. really appreciate the help!

Chryco Psycho

dodj

Quote from: 340Rallye on February 28, 2020, 06:31:53 PM
plugged it in and... cat drowning under water sound
:haha:

Mine works but keep it on the shelf in the garage. Hate that buzzer.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill