Main Menu

Horn Relay Wiring?

Started by Adams1stCuda, February 03, 2018, 08:50:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Adams1stCuda

Can anyone please help with identifying which wire (on the back of the fuse block) goes to which lead on the horn relay.  I have the wiring diagram showing Black, Black w/Yellow tracer, Purple and Green w/Red tracer, but its not clear which goes to which lead and I'm pretty sure mine are not correct since one slot is empty and another is loose.

Also, my relay only has three spades?  Do I need the one with all four?

TIA for the help!

shawge

What year? IIRC 70 is different than 71+
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Claudia

Quote from: Adam213 on February 03, 2018, 08:50:21 PM
Can anyone please help with identifying which wire (on the back of the fuse block) goes to which lead on the horn relay.  I have the wiring diagram showing Black, Black w/Yellow tracer, Purple and Green w/Red tracer, but its not clear which goes to which lead and I'm pretty sure mine are not correct since one slot is empty and another is loose.

Also, my relay only has three spades?  Do I need the one with all four?

TIA for the help!

I believe that the fourth spade terminal on the horn relay is for the "key in" buzzer option only.

Adams1stCuda

Sorry, its a 72.  I did believe I saw that the further out 4th spade was for key buzzer, though I don't directly see how on the wiring diagram.  I am concerned with the three close together as currently mine only has two wired and not ever sure they are in the correct locations.

Jay Bee

I picked up this harness at a swap a long time ago, think it's for 72 to 74 but don't quote me. Hope this picture helps. If you need me to, I can ohmmeter those wires for you. One thing though, the black one with the tracer looks like it's white instead of yellow.

Chryco Psycho

In the past I have bent over the terminal for the buzzer so the horn will work without the buzzer

Claudia

Here are a couple of pictures that I took last night.  These are from a '71.

Lone single terminal (key buzzer) has a solid black wire on the back side of the fuse block
Other three clustered terminals have a solid violet, a black with white trace and a green with red trace on the back side of the fuse block.

Claudia

I recently spent several hours troubleshooting my key buzzer circuit as it was not working at all.  My horn worked fine but no key buzzer.  Now that I have everything working properly . . . buzzer is kind of annoying :dunno: but I wanted to ensure that everything does work as it should on my car.  Last thing that I need / want are any electrical gremlins.  Now, since I have put in the effort, I think I will listen to and try to enjoy :banana: the buzzer for awhile before doing anything with it.  As Chryco Psycho mentioned earlier . . . you can either bend over the fourth key buzzer terminal or you could de-pin one of the two wires going to the key buzzer switch at the steering column connector if you no longer wish to listen to that sweet sound.

Jay Bee

From mine and Claudia's pictures it definitely looks like your Purple and Green w/Red tracer are in the wrong slots.  Hopefully the other end of them terminate where they should.

Adams1stCuda

Thanks a ton Jay Bee and Claudia, exactly what I needed.  Will take a look this weekend.