Main Menu

How to route wire from alternator to starter relay ?

Started by Racer57, February 01, 2018, 11:29:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

70 Cuda 383

Those of you that have done it, how did you route the wire ? I thought about laying it over the engine beside the distributor, but I'm paranoid about that hot of a wire chaffing. Have also thought about running it inside of some fuel line for extra protection.

GoodysGotaCuda

You do want to protect that wire, there are many options for that. I prefer braided split sleeving.

Ensure to add some circuit protection to that wire..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Katfish

I ran my along the right side of engine, along the firewall, then up to relay.
Factory did all the other wires this way.  Wrap it with factory harness if you're concerned.

Racer57

What is the best fuse for the bypass wire ?  I have the original style alternator.

Katfish

Racer57

Katfish

dodj

I ran the wire from the alt, forward through to the front of the rad cradle, across to the driver's side, back through to the engine compartment, to an MANL fuse.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Quote from: Katfish on February 01, 2018, 04:45:35 PM
depends on alternator and what size wire you choose,  good info here

https://www.allpar.com/fix/alternator.html

Good info, two wire gauge smaller than the protected wire,  recently did this wiring, just have to add the fusible link.

GoodysGotaCuda

I use Blue Sea Systems [or the like] circuit breakers for my charging systems, I have a 150a for the Hemi alt. It also makes it nice when you need to work around the alternator, just push the trip button and there's no need to worry about a hot wire over there.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

RUNCHARGER

I use circuit breakers and run the wire through the front bulhead as well, it is pretty hard to see it there.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

I've run it forward across the radiator support, I've run it rearward across the firewall.... And I've run it underneath zip tied to the Alterkation K member on a car that the owner wanted it that way.... On that one I slipped the wire in a 1/4" thin walled rubber hose to add extra protection...

Chryco Psycho

Ideally you would want a fusable link at both ends as the wire has battery power at both ends of the wire

dodj

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 01, 2018, 10:43:07 PM
Ideally you would want a fusable link at both ends as the wire has battery power at both ends of the wire
Agreed, but if you only fuse one end, as I do, it must be the battery side.
The alt has nowhere near the available fault current that the battery has and if you kill the ignition, the alt is no longer a source. :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill