Main Menu

How to ruin a battery quick

Started by 73440, July 10, 2018, 07:20:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Installed new battery in the Harley, rode about 8 miles then engine starts sputtering and feel heat on my leg.
Look down and the battery is on fire , stop and use my hand and shirt to put out the fire .
Neighbor lends garden hose to insulate the bare ground cable .
I figure the bare negative cable was touching the battery hold down strap.
Guess time to use an insulated negative cable .
And then I stumble and knock the headlights and bezels and trim, I caught the grill ,  that are in the grill on the hood onto the concrete floor , ugh . All good , no damage !

Cuda Cody

1 Wild R/T

Sounds like a bad day... Sucks...

That bare ground cable can lay on the battery hold down with no effect... It bolts to the frame of the bike... The frame & all metal parts that aren't isolated from it are equal to the ground voltage....  The positive cable grounding out would be a problem but I think your charging system has gone full charge & melted you battery.....

71-440

Ouch!

Sounds like something that would happen to me....
Joe

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 10, 2018, 07:31:35 PM
Sounds like a bad day... Sucks...

That bare ground cable can lay on the battery hold down with no effect... It bolts to the frame of the bike... The frame & all metal parts that aren't isolated from it are equal to the ground voltage....  The positive cable grounding out would be a problem but I think your charging system has gone full charge & melted you battery.....

Now you have me thinking, never had a problem with the bare negative cable touching the strap, .
when installing the battery today , I did spark a couple times when the wrench tighten on the positive cable touched metal , maybe that did something.
Thanks @1 WildR/T

1 Wild R/T

Looks like a fairly vintage bike?  Is that an old school voltage regulator below & behind the battery?   If so pull the cover off & see if the points might have welded themselves closed......

Yes, 1973, generator with Bosxh mechanical regulator, yes the ground wire from the battery to the VR was completely burnt away, .
I will open the VR .

1 Wild R/T

Both sets of points are free.
Although the top set do not have much clearance.
I have been wanting to change to alternator and electronic regulator , be a good time to do now.
Thanks for the info,I was thinking completely in the opposite direction.

1 Wild R/T

Probably a good plan though honestly it looks like your generator was able to push enough current to melt the battery so maybe just getting a electronic regulator & fix the wiring and see how it works....

BIGSHCLUNK

We had a similar experience with a battery in my skid steer once..... not good.  :bricks:

I wish I had checked the voltage after starting the bike , should have flashed the generator VR also.
The headlight and tailights were a lot brighter than normal.